Tattoos and Piercings In The Workplace

Tattoos and Piercings In The Workplace

Makayla Doyle, Staff Writer

Many companies in today’s society will discriminate against good, hardworking employees if they do not fit a certain look or dress code. In many of these occasions, it’s because the person applying for the job has visible tattoos or piercings. Do you believe that tattoos and/or piercings should affect the selection of employees by the employers?

Tattoos and piercings are a form of body modifications while things including colored hair and Botox are also modifications. The only difference between these is the either permanent or semi-permanent effect. When many people have these modifications done, the first thing they would want to do is to show them off. While modifications, including fake nails or losing weight, are acceptable by people, tattoos and piercings are deemed inappropriate or associated with deviant behavior.

To learn more about how certain businesses feel towards the matter, I interviewed Bob Barenburg, managing director of Kingston/Hilton/Embassy Suites, Myrtle Beach Resorts. I asked him if he personally believed that tattoos or piercings should affect the selection of employees.

“As it has become more and more difficult to find employees, you quickly realize that by disqualifying candidates because of piercings or tattoos cuts the potential workforce in half which is a problem in today’s environment” stated Mr. Barenburg

Finding hard-working employees is challenging enough but to disqualify them for such a small reason is, in my opinion, very foolish. Every person applying for a job should get an equal chance of receiving the position, no matter their personal modification choices. Businesses should not limit a person’s title or work, based on their tattoos or piercings.

As a side note:  I sent a survey to various classes to gain insight on students’ opinions about tattoos.  Here are a few of their voices:

Maria Pino (Senior) – “I believe visible face or neck tattoos are unprofessional, but otherwise, it should not affect their chances of getting employed.”

Melanie Baker (Sophomore) – “People with tattoos/piercings are most likely to be judged because body modifications are associated with negative things.”

Sarah Sheely (Senior) – “Getting tattoos is a ‘self-aware’ choice. Covering up tattoos from children isn’t going to stop them from seeing tattoos in movies, T.V and everyday life.”

Picture credit: www.pinterest.com