In Memory of Jon Peret

Kelsey Mitchell, Editor

On January 31, 2018, beloved Carolina Forest High School Science teacher, Jon Reed Peret passed away of Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer. Peret was born in Annapolis, Maryland on June 28, 1968 to eventually come to South Carolina and become a high school teacher, as well as a college professor. He dedicated much of his time to volunteer work with an animal rescue association, All4Paws. Peret also had a passion for the ocean; he loved to boat, fish and hang out with family and friends by the water.

Many close friends and family have shared how important the staff and student body of Carolina Forest High School was in Peret’s life. He shared that becoming a teacher at Carolina Forest was one of the best things that ever happened to Peret.

While our principal Ms. Driggers was visiting him in the hosptial, Peret asked her for one thing specifically: a Carolina Forest Panthers sweatshirt.  She called the school, and Ms. Weaver took it to him later that day.  

Peret was one to brighten up any room the second he stepped through the door. From the corny jokes, the sarcasm, and everything in between, Peret brought the laughter. Students of Carolina Forest say that Peret taught them many life lessons and changed their lives for the good.

Along with the students, many of our teachers have been impacted by Peret and his positive attitude and unending support.

English teacher and close friend of Peret, Ruthie Warren, stated: Jon was like a brother to me; we were cancer and prayer buddies who supported each other in every way. He made such a huge impact on our school and students within and outside his classroom. He loved this school and wanted to be here every day, instilling his love of science within his classes. Jon is now pain free in heaven, celebrating with his Heavenly Father and still watching after us.”

Math teacher and long time friend of Peret, Latricia Clardy mentions that she could go on and on about Peret and his impact on her life along with the other teachers and students.

Clardy decided to share how she and Peret became such great friends:

“We were both assigned search duty, and he brightened up the whole morning.  I so enjoyed how he took the task which can be dull and used it as an opportunity to reach so many students.  It was so much fun listening to his interaction with them, and it helped others to loosen their professionalism and just be themselves with students.  Over the last year, he shared many thoughts with me.  He talked about his love for his family, but the thing that will always stick with me is the positive attitude he had about students and how their lives would turn out good.  He always looked on the positive and knew that with love, guidance, and faith he would give everybody he came in contact with something to live by daily.”

Clardy also mentioned seeing and reading comments posted on Facebook by Peret’s students. She stated, “[I] know that he showed each of them how to love one another. What a gift!”

Science teacher and Peret’s “brother from another mother”, Jamie Kizer, stated, “[Peret] was one of those rare friends in life that you click with the instant you meet. I know that we will continue to have a bunch of laughs when it’s my turn to join him in heaven. I bet he’s cracking jokes with my grandfather and St. Peter right now – probably something about the new guy having scorch marks.”

Peret will always be remembered around the Forest for his incredible impact on the teachers, students, and the school as a whole. We are grateful for Peret and all that he did for Carolina Forest High School.

Rest in peace, Jon Peret.