• May 16Spring Blood Drive

• May 14Spring Art Show

• May 10Start of Spring Show Choir Shows

Preparing for College: Mentally & Physically

Katy Bonadio, Staff Writer

How do students prepare for the rigors and life challenges that college brings? Before even choosing a college, students need to consider why they want to go and what they want to get out of it. They have to consider the atmosphere, size, location, degrees offered, programs offered, and career training.

College is the next step for the rest of a student’s life. Students need to develop necessary skills to pursue their college degree and future career. In making the transition from high school to college, students need not only academic skills but time management and problem solving skills.

“I have taken the SAT multiple times and gone to tutoring hours for the test. High school has helped prepare me for college with the AP classes,” comments Conner Boroski.

Developing good skills and habits in high school will lead to good habits in college. A college degree is something that will pay off in the future. Being able to take a college level class prior to full-time enrollment exposes the students to the challenges and difficulty level.

One of the biggest differences between high school and college is that there will be much more content in a shorter period of time. Because of this, staying organized will be a necessity. Keeping track of assignments and exams will alleviate some stress and help with managing time.

“I sent in a picture of a boat as my transcript, and this year I am part of the PACE program at HGTC. These college classes have helped prepare me for college compared to our high school classes. High school prepared me for college by walking so far, sometimes, to get to class in a limited amount of time,” shares Melanie Brown.

Physically, college campuses are usually large and spread out. There is plenty of free exercise while hiking cross-campus from one building to the next or even taking an hour at the gym between classes.

Emotionally, attending college can be an “adult” moment; therefore, there’s a feeling of accomplishment and responsibility.

Are you ready?

About the Writer
Katy Bonadio, Staff Writer

Katy Bonadio is a senior at Carolina Forest High School. She took journalism and broadcasting her freshman year. She also took yearbook her sophomore year,...