The New Cheer Coach

Back to Article
Back to Article

The New Cheer Coach

Luana Alves, Staff Writer

Carolina Forest High School Cheerleading has taken a spin into the 2019-2020 season.  Johnnie Davis Neal has recently joined the CFHS family as the new head cheerleading coach. 

Neal may not be a teacher at CFHS, but he has been involved with cheerleading for eight years. 

While Neal attended Pocono Mountain West High School, in Pocono Summit, Pennsylvania, he juggled many sports, such as basketball, track, and football. He graduated in 2009 to go to Keystone College.

Coach Neal started off as a track star in college, but in 2010 his friends and the cheer coach at his college encouraged him to try out for the cheerleading team. He enjoyed it and has stuck with cheerleading ever since.

When Neal moved to Myrtle Beach, he started working at Ultimate Gymnastics Academy.  This is where Neal met some of the CFHS cheerleaders who inspired him to go for the job at CFHS.

Neal shares, “When Carolina Forest Cheerleaders came to tumble at the gym I was working at, I got to know them and I enjoyed working with them, so when the job came available, I jumped at the opportunity.”

“My favorite thing about coaching cheerleading would be getting to meet new athletes and getting to know different personalities while watching these young ladies grow and become better everyday and being a positive influence in their lives,” added Neal.

This year’s cheer squad is happy that Coach Neal joined the Panther family. 

Bayli Soles, a sophomore shares, “Coach Neal has opened doors for new opportunities and is pushing us to our fullest potential.” 

Coach Neal has much to offer to the Carolina Forest Cheerleading Team this season. He will make the most of it while he watches these young ladies grow and become better cheerleaders.