Lending a Helping Hand

Zoe Santiago, Staff Writer

Key Club is known to be the largest and oldest service organization for teenagers. There are more than 5,000 Key Clubs around the world. Each member works together to improve their schools and community.  Key Club provides opportunities for students to not only serve the local communities but internationally.

Key Club has been a part of Carolina Forest High School since our first year in 1997. Today, Key Club at CFHS is sponsored by Becky Tighe and Eugene Dougherty, alongside with President Samantha Palucha and Vice President Emily Proctor.

Samantha Palucha, Key Club president, shares, ‘’Key Club is a great club because it motivates teens to get involved in their community to make it a better place.’’

Key Club is currently organizing their first fundraiser to benefit the animal shelters in Horry County. Since the weather is getting cold, animals need towels and blankets. Local pet shelters are always in need of food. 

Key Club provided community service last month at the Waccamaw Elementary Fall Festival. CFHS students assisted by playing musical chairs, working the bake sale and monitoring kids on the bouncy houses.

Emily Proctor,  Key Club Vice-President, explains, ‘’Being a part of Key Club has been very eye-opening; I was unaware of the amount of hard work required to run the club. However, I love working with our communities to fundraise and volunteer at community events.’’

Becky Tighe, sponsor of Key Club, says, ‘’Key Club is looking for more members and is very excited about serving The Forest Community any way we can!’’

Key Club members are energetic leaders of tomorrow and dedicated teens of today.