Music in Carolina Forest

Zoe Santiago, Staff Writer

Carolina Forest is known for its Fine Arts Department. Students from all over join the Panther family to participate in music. Music is an art form and cultural activity. It can be used to convey a whole range of experiences, environments, and emotion. Music is an art that permeates in every human society.

Carolina Forest offers many musical classes such as; Band, Orchestra, Piano, Showcase, and Women’s Choir. For many students, they take these classes throughout their whole high school career.

According to the National Association for Music Education, musical training is known to help develop language and reasoning. Students who have early musical training will develop the areas of the brain related to language. The left side of the brain is better developed with music, and songs can help imprint information on young minds. Even when performing sheet music, student musicians are constantly using their memory to perform. The skill of memorization is very important for students in education and beyond.

Matthew Ward, Piano and AP Music Theory teacher, explains ‘’ My favorite thing about teaching music here at Carolina Forest High School is helping the students do something they didn’t know was possible – to enjoy making music in their own lives!’’

An enjoyable subject like music can keep kids interested and engaged in school. Student musicians are likely to stay in school to achieve other subjects. Music also allows students to try something new and develop confidence as they master singing or playing an instrument.

Nicole Herrera, a sophomore, mentions, ‘’Being in band has always been a gateway for me to further my interest in music. Mr Roddy is amazing at what he does, and it really shows through my peers and myself.’’

Introducing music in early childhood years can help foster a positive attitude towards learning and curiosity. Artistic education develops the whole brain and develops a child’s imagination. 

Students can fight stress by learning music. Soothing music is helpful in terms of helping a kid relax. The importance of music education is crucial, even during high school. 

‘’I like the ability to help students mature musically. This transformation doesn’t happen just musically but also emotionally,’’ shares Stephen Williams, our orchestra teacher. 

Music can raise someone’s mood, get them excited, or make them calm and relaxed. It allows us to feel all of our emotions that we experience in our lives. It is an important part of our lives and fills a need or urge to create music. CFHS has many musical opportunities for our students and allows them to open their minds to an amazing art form. 

.