Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff

Hey, my name is Aliyeah! I am an active member of National, Social Studies, and Math Honors Society, as well as Vice President of Leadership in DECA. When I'm not working or doing a school activity, I...

Mentor Program at Carolina Forest High School

A mentor program is used to help students with important skills such as problem solving, critical thinking, communication, and it can be beneficial for them entering the workforce or their plan for college. Carolina Forest High School has a mentor program that includes many students. They do various activities with the younger students, such as Christmas parties and visits to their schools. The students are from Waccamaw Elementary School, Carolina Forest Elementary, and Palmetto Bay Elementary.

The advisors are Ashley Saylor, Pamela Brown, Emmanuel Dewalt, Matthew Sassi, and Sierra Gordyk.

Students cannot join the CFHS Mentor Program. To be considered for the mentor program, they must be referred by an administrator or school counselor and then accepted by the sponsors of the program. 

Brown shared,“CFHS had a mentor program on campus in years past. The counselor who sponsored it is no longer employed by CFHS. Ms. Driggers contacted Coach Pertell about starting it up again who then came to me with the idea. We brainstormed how to involve more CF students in the program and how to further impact our student body with the program. We then reached out to a small group of students who we already had a relationship with to pilot the idea.”

Phillip McLean is a senior who participates in the mentor program. McLean enjoys building bonds with the younger students and making an impact in their life. 

McLean added, “It’s a great experience, and you’ll enjoy every moment of it.”

Although this group hosted small parties for the children at CF, McLean’s favorite memories included the Christmas party and the trips he took to different schools.  

Another senior, Faith Heller, has been a part of this program for two years. 

Heller stated, “I enjoy the ability to form a close friendship and mentorship with a young one. This broadened my perspective on the world and helped open opportunities to be a mentor.”

Heller also mentioned that some of her favorite memories are elementary kids day at CFHS, visiting other schools, and mentoring. 

This mentorship program has been very successful and beneficial for both the CF students and elementary students involved.

Picture Credit: Mentorship Program