Poll

Best Fast Food

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Silver Streams Submissions
The Silver Streams will be updated frequently and will highlight our students’ art and writing talent. In the link below, you may submit any artwork, photography, writings, and/or music that you would like to be featured in the our on-line literary magazine.
Note: If you would like your piece formatted a certain way, you may also provide a hard copy to Ms. Twigg’s room in Tech 3.
Submit your entries to the following:  [email protected], [email protected], OR complete the Google Form
Can’t Find Your Counselor?
Meet the Staff

Hey everyone! My name is Gabby Hanson. I am so excited to be a part of The Prowler during my last semester of high school! I have been a Prowler staff member since my freshman year and have loved...

Overcrowding in Horry County Schools

Imaged+Credit%3A+Google+
Imaged Credit: Google

Overcrowded schools have become a problem worldwide! About 17,400 schools are overcrowded or overenrolled in the United States. Overcrowding schools can cause an increase in school violence and disciplinary problems, greater noise and distraction, poor building and environmental conditions, etc. 

Sophomore Lyvia Bossert commented, “Overcrowding can lead to fights, issues with supplying food and academic supplies and giving each student less one-on-one time with teachers. We already have issues with staff and bus drivers, and this adds fuel to the fire.”

Horry County Schools District is a public school district serving Horry County and is the third largest school district in South Carolina. Horry County Schools contain 57 schools that are made up of  28 elementary schools, 13 middle schools, and nine high schools, including three career and technical academies. 

Horry County Schools are getting overcrowded, particularly in the Carolina Forest area. 20% of the student population lives in the CF area. According to WPDE News, Carolina Forest High School, the largest school in Horry County, its capacity stands at 117%! The current student carrying capacity of the elementary schools nearby are Carolina Forest Elementary at 125%, Ocean Bay Elementary at 132%, River Oaks Elementary at 148%, Waccamaw Elementary at 112%, and Palmetto Bays at 84%. 

The Horry County School Board is issuing two new elementary schools in the CF area to help with overcrowded schools nearby. The new schools are estimated to have a capacity of 800 to 1,200 students, two-story buildings, and the construction budget for both facilities is approximately $128,000,000. In addition, HCS added a new charter high school called the Atlantic Collegiate Academy for extracurricular activities and sports. ACA started operating in the 2023-2024 school year. 

“A new high school is needed. The school is overcrowded. There aren’t enough classrooms, teachers, or even parking spaces. New elementary schools will not help if they are all going to be going to the same high school in time,” argued senior Aliyeah Granberg. 

However, schools around CF are not the only ones with overcrowded classrooms. Schools that are 95% or greater are Myrtle Beach Elementary, Myrtle Beach Middle, North Myrtle Beach High, Ocean Drive Elementary, Pee Dee Elementary, Socastee High, Socastee Middle, Waterway Elementary, and Whittemore Park Middle. 

Meanwhile, schools that are over their capacity are Aynor Elementary, Aynor Middle, Myrtle Beach High, Ocean Bay Elementary, St. James Elementary, Carolina Forest Elementary, St. James High, Riverside Elementary, and Waccamaw Elementary. 

It will be interesting to see how the new elementary schools and ACA will affect the overcrowded classrooms in Horry County.