Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff
Lesley Medina
Lesley Medina
Staff Writer/Media Production

Hey, my name is Lesley! I'm a sophomore at CFHS. This is my first year on The Prowler. I'm on the CFHS dance team. I love to baking, hanging out with friends and family, singing, and dancing.  After graduation,...

Dress to Impress

Although the history of prom is a little unclear,  its origin has been able to date back to as far as 1890, and photos can be found from the early 1900s. There have been over a decade of proms since their implementation into schools and with our 2024 prom right around the corner, everyone is trying to find their “perfect dress.”   

Lulus, a popular on-line boutique, provided a look into past years by sharing an article entitled “The Most Popular Prom Dress Styles From Every Decade.” Since this is officially my last prom, I thought it would be interesting to explore the dress trends from the past.

1920s: In the 1920s, many girls dressed to the iconic “Flapper” look. Loose dresses with plenty of beads, pearls, and fringe were extremely common. Most dresses were a shade of black, blue, or a dark maroon. 

1950s: Shifting from the party dresses seen in the 20s, the 50s were all about ruffles, tulle, and lace to show more of a “tea dress” perspective. Dresses also had built-in corsets to give the bodice a tighter look as well as bare shoulders in a multitude of pastel colors. 

1960s: The 60s once again strayed away from the previous decade. The skirts were shorter, the colors were brighter, and the hair was bigger!

1970s:  Floral prints were all the rage and accessories like bows and hats became the latest trend. 

1980s: To be honest, what did the 80s not have for a prom dress? Silk, sheer, bubble skirts, ruffles, jewels, big bows, tulle. You name it; the 80s had it. 

1990s:  The 90s had sequins, ruffles, and beads that were all over most prom dresses. The black and white theme, as well as velvet dresses, were a common “go-to” style. 

2000s: The year 2000 brought up  trends of satin, bare shoulder, and corset backs. The colors shifted back to the pastels seen in the 50s, many of which are still popular today for prom. 

2010s: Something new and never seen before is a trend that took over the early 2010s: two piece dresses! Many girls who opted for a dress with two parts and split around the midriff left many questioning what prom dresses should look like.

Victoria Murphy, a math teacher at Carolina Forest, reminisced on her prom back in 2011. 

“I wanted to be different from everyone so I wore purple to our masquerade themed prom. Everyone else went a bit more subtle,” shared Murphy.  

With the history of different prom dresses, what does this year have in store for CF’s prom? Currently, the most common colors being worn seem to be navy or blue, green, and black.

Senior Amelia Earl, chose a navy dress this year. 

“My whole friend group is wearing a different shade of blue this year, and it was all by coincidence,” laughed Earl. 

Although picking the “perfect dress” isn’t easy, it is one of the most fun memories of prom. With prom coming up around the corner, many have found the “one” or are last-minute shopping. My question to you, are you prom ready?