Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff

Hey, Panthers! My name is Addy Fegley.  I am a junior, and this is my first semester on The Prowler. I enjoy working and spending time with family and friends. I love Disney, going to the beach, and watching...

Women’s History Month

During March, Women’s History Month is celebrated throughout the world. During this month, women are recognized for their achievements throughout history and the contributions they have made to America and the world around us.

Similarly to Black History Month celebrated in February, Women’s History Month also began as Women’s History Week, which was started by The Education Task Force of Sonoma County Commission on the Status of Women in 1980. This was celebrated during the week of March 8 to correspond with “International Women’s Day.” Women’s History Week was modified to be Women’s History Month in 1987 after a bill was passed in Congress. 

The National Women’s History alliance shared a Women’s History timeline of importance. In 1869 Susan B Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman’s Suffrage Association. In 1932, Amelia Earhart became the first woman and second pilot ever to fly solo across the Atlantic. In 1963, John. F. Kennedy signed the Equal Pay Act which prohibited gender- based wage discrimination between men and women performing the same job. It wasn’t until 1974 that a woman could have a credit card in her own name. In 1994, The Violence Against Women Act funds services for victims of domestic violence and in 2023 a record number of women are elected to Congress with 128 elected in the House and 25 elected in Senate. 

Junior Jalee Cala shares, “ I think Women’s History Month should be celebrated because of the impact women have made throughout history. I love learning about Women’s History and how far we have come.” 

In Washington D.C, The Smithsonian Institution celebrates women in many ways with various events and exhibits. One exhibit that has become popular with celebrating women is the The First Ladies exhibit, located in The National Museum of American History. This display highlights the position of the first lady and different women and their role in the enrichment of the presidential administration and nation. The exhibition features a section titled “Changing Times, Changing First Ladies,” which includes first ladies like Jacqueline Kennedy, Michelle Obama, Edith Roosevelt and Melania Trump and their contributions to their husbands administration with their inauguration dress on display as well. The National Museum of American History encourages visitors to consider the changing role played by the first lady and how the way they dress and speak evolve. 

To quote first lady and diplomat Eleanor Roosevelt: “Women are like teabags; we don’t know our true strength until we are in hot water.”

Women’s History Month should be celebrated to celebrate the influential past and present women throughout the world.