Dress Code Opinions

Nyah Julius and Zachary Gardner

Jessica Cedeno, Staff Writer

Welcoming the new school year, students face the challenge of trying to meet all the requirements of school dress policy. The topic of dress code sparks a lot of controversy. A majority of schools all over the world enforce a very strict policy that requires all students to follow those standards. Some people may argue that restricting dress code limits students from expressing themselves through clothes, or having such a strict dress codes presents an idea that certain clothes in a classroom are viewed as a distraction.

The most common idea revolving around the dress code system is that females are put in the center of it. Most of the rules and policies are directed towards the female community as it limits the type of dresses, jeans and shirts that they are allowed to wear. Here at Carolina Forest, there is a scattering who are asked to change daily for violating the schools dress code.

Despite all the rules broken, one of the most controversial is the use of leggings. The Carolina Forest dress code policy states that no form of tight fitting pants should be worn. Leggings can be worn at school, but whatever is worn on over it should be fingertip length. This is creating a problem for students who are faced breaking dress code. Many students feel that this rule is unfair because leggings are comfortable pants and do not show anything revealing.

Recently the trend of “off the shoulder” tops have become quite popular and are seen all around the campus. Because these shirts expose bare shoulders, it has been added to the dress code policy.

During recent years in public schools, the idea of dress code is becoming more serious. In the past years, various of school protests and events have revolved around this controversial policy.

Regardless, if one does not see this as a problem or disagrees with the school policy, we as a student body want to know what other students think about this issue. We obtained a few opinions on the dress code controversy and asked multiple questions. Here are their responses..