• February 27Sophomores Place Class Ring Orders

• February 20ACT Testing

• February 18Hurricane Make Up Day

Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

Shelbi Ankiewicz, Editor

Surfers hit the water year round. It could be hot and sunny or wet and rainy. It does not matter if it is 90, 70, or 50 degrees Fahrenheit; that is what wetsuits are for, right?

Three great white sharks have been found circling off the coast of the Carolinas. Their names are Gray Lady, Miss Costa and Hal. The great white, Gray Lady, is right below the Charleston coast. Hal, a 12-foot and 1420 pound great white, has been located directly off our Myrtle Beach coast.

These sharks were discovered in our waters by a non-profit organization known as OCEARCH. The program is a data-centric organization built to help scientist collect previously unattainable data in the ocean, which is one reason why they tag various species of sharks.

OCEARCH catches sharks so they can do research on live animals. They attack satellite transponders to the sharks’ dorsal fins so that their migration paths can be tracked around the planet. The tracking devices uncover data about mating, birthing and feeding patterns that have always been difficult to determine. Aside from great whites, OCEARCH also focuses on hammerhead and tiger sharks.

The non-profit was founded in 2007 and started Atlantic tagging expeditions in 2012. Since then, 33 great white sharks have been tagged in the Atlantic. OCEARCH will begin a new tagging expedition this February specifically along the coast of Myrtle Beach down to Jacksonville, Florida.

There is an app called Global Shark Tracker that allows people to track the whereabouts of these creatures. Their paths can be followed from South America all the way to New York!

A Twitter page has also been constructed so that people can interact with Miss Costa, Hal and Gray Lady. It could be something about the sharks arrival or grabbing a bite to eat with them.

So to all of you ocean-lovers out there, keep your eyes peeled. You may see a friend in the water.

About the Writer
Shelbi Ankiewicz, Editor

Senior Shelbi Ankiewicz, is an editor for The Prowler; this is her third year on staff. Ankiewicz always has had an interest in writing, and she is excited...

• Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

News

History Has Its Eyes On Lin Manuel

• News

Surprising Facts about Valentine’s Day

• Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

News

You Must Be Dreaming!!!

• Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

News

Tea and Its Benefits

• Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

News

Teens+Food=Money

• Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

News

Amazing Indoor Amusement Parks

• Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

News

A Memorable Meeting

• Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

News

Benefits of Essential Oils

• Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

News

Hollywood Studios Becomes Bigger and Better

• Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?

News

All “Groan” Up – The Quarter-Life Crisis

Sharks? In Myrtle Beach?