Danish Students Here At CFHS

On March 9, twenty-one Danish exchange students who attend Egaa Gymnasium in Denmark flew across the world to the United States to explore the cultural differences and experience the ways of the American classroom.

Carolina Forest High welcomed the exchange students for the week. During this time, I asked them questions about their life in Denmark and how it differs from what they encountered in the United States.

All of the Danish students had an American student who mentored and let them stay at their house until it was time for their departure. During the week, the Danish students followed their mentor to all of their classes and went out with them outside of school and did what a typical American teenager does, such as going to the mall and hanging out at the beach. 

In the United States, students are told to address their teachers by their last name and say Ms., Mrs., and Mr., but to the Danish students, it was brand new to them, especially to one student named FreÍa. “We call our teachers by their first name and [do not say] Mrs., Ms., or Mr.”

Our American culture was a huge shock to the students. The discussion of religion, national identity, and politics caught their attention. In Denmark, public schools do not have to recite a pledge in the morning; however, most American public schools play the pledge over the morning announcements and students stand up to recite it. Out of respect, the Danish students stood up with everyone during our pledge and observed quietly.

Unlike the United States, Denmark high schools only last three years, and they do not have a middle school. When they start high school, they pick a subject to major in and stay in the same class with the same people all three years.

The school that the Danish students came from was much smaller than ours. Egaa Gymnasium has about 700-800 students, and CFHS has about 2500 students, so the Danish students were shocked to see so many people.

At the end of this trip, the Danish students made many friends, were able to experience a different school system, and gained more understanding about different cultures.

I have just really enjoyed getting to experience the culture [here in the U.S],” shared Louise Heinsen, one of the exchange students.

The exchange visit had a  positive impact on out students.  Hopefully, we’ll have more who visit in the future.