• May 14Spring Art Show

• May 10Start of Spring Show Choir Shows

• May 2Spring Blood Drive

The World Behind A Journalist’s Salary

Kaya Perry, Silver Streams Co-Editor

One might think that a journalist makes a good amount of money because they supply the world with its news; however, journalists make around the same as teachers do. I believe that journalists are underpaid and should be given more credit for all their work.

I want to be a journalist and when I found out how much they get paid, I was a little shocked. I thought that journalists would make at least a little more than what they do. The average salary for a journalist today is $39,571 per year. They go through a lot to get the information that they supply, so it’s crazy to think that they make so little.

The location for any job plays a large role in how much the employees get paid. This is very true for journalists. When looking at pay by state, journalists make more money based on what region of the country they are in. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, journalists who live in the Northeast make the most with New York, having the highest journalist salary of $62,140 per year. Those who live in the Midwest and Central U.S. make the least with Nebraska recording the lowest salary of $25,420 per year.

Although it may seem like it, location isn’t the only factor in how much a journalist makes. Since there are many types of journalism, certain branches make more than others. Television and radio journalists make on average $50,640 per year, and if they are hired by a cable television company, then they can make around $57,050 per year. However, paper media journalists only make around $40,590, according to a 2012 Bureau of Labor Statistics survey.

It makes sense for paper media journalists to make less than others because of social media on the rise. Today no one wants to read a newspaper; they would rather get their news from their phone. Even older generations have switched to getting the majority of their news from television.

After writing this, I realized that if I, or anyone else, wants a good salary as a journalist, then I should move to a region of the country where they pay well. I could also join a branch of journalism that is more popular, such as online media. I still believe that the average salary should be raised for those who don’t have the ability to move somewhere to get better pay.

About the Writer
Kaya Perry, Staff Writer

Kaya Perry is a junior who loves to read and write. This is her second year on The Prowler Staff. She spends most of her time hanging out with friends,...

• The World Behind A Journalist’s Salary

Editorials & Reviews

Legality and Morality

Editorials & Reviews

Fairy Tale Darkness

Editorials & Reviews

How Will Avenger’s Endgame End?

Editorials & Reviews

“On My Block”

Editorials & Reviews

Why Pay for an Pet?

Arts & Entertainment

Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists review

Editorials & Reviews

Yoga In Public Schools?

Editorials & Reviews

Benefits of Traveling

Editorials & Reviews

Are You a Believer?

Editorials & Reviews

Will We Be Okay With How History Remembers Us?

The World Behind A Journalist’s Salary