Hippie Fest: Fun Times and Good Vibes

Malia Yelle, owner of Green Sun Designs, creates beautiful jewelry.  Follow her @greensundesignsmb!

Malia Yelle, owner of Green Sun Designs, creates beautiful jewelry. Follow her @greensundesignsmb!

Kaya Perry, Co-Editor

Hippie Fest is a music and arts festival that travels across the country. One of the stops on their list is our lovely town, Myrtle Beach. They set up shop at the Myrtle Beach Speedway for a day of fun and relaxation during the last weekend of October. I was lucky enough to be able to attend this festival and share the experience with fellow hippies.

Although there were many middle-aged people who attended Hippie Fest, there were many younger people there, too. This festival was open to all ages, and it was very child-friendly. There were even some students from Carolina Forest High School who attended Hippie Fest, one of which was junior Myah Ankiewicz.

“I really enjoyed dressing up with my sister for the event,” explained Ankiewicz.

As soon as I arrived at Hippie Fest, I felt the good vibes in the atmosphere. I was instantly relaxed and knew I would have the time of my life. There was so much going on that I knew boredom wouldn’t be on my agenda. Live music was constantly playing while people danced and sang along.  Even the llamas shared in the excitement.  

There were what seemed like millions of vendors there. Most of them made all their commodities themselves, so you’re supporting small businesses when you buy from them. There were booths selling jewelry, clothes, home decorations and so much more. Some of the vendors included Hipsy Gypsy, Stoned Beautiful, Finfirst and Knotti Roots and Green Sun Designs.

Malia Yelle, the owner of Green Sun Designs, shared, “Hippie Fest was a great opportunity for me as a local vendor because it was guaranteed that I would get a lot of traffic. It was also a relaxed, fun atmosphere!”

This was my first time attending Hippie Fest, and I’m so glad I did. Everyone was so kind that I felt welcomed everywhere I went. Since I was with my friends, it made my experience even better. Although I couldn’t stay all day, I enjoyed the time I was able to spend there. Attending Hippie Fest was a great way to take a day to get away from the stress of life and “peace out” for awhile.