Should Homework Be Banned?

Matthew Winchester, Staff Writer

Should homework exist? Many students ask this question. For some students, homework is seen as a chore and is pointless. Others, however, feel that homework is necessary.

Homework often stirs up a lot of emotions. This is because it can easily disrupt a student’s home life. A study was done by Science Focus:  children have been spending more time than ever doing school work in the past century. This study also showed that students receive more homework than ever. This increases the pressure on students.

Though the idea of homework has many mixed opinions, it is proven to have a positive effect on students. Professor Ulrich Trautwein and his team at the University of Tübingen found that the amount of homework given to students affects overall class grades.

Homework can also cause damage. Evidence shows that extreme amounts of homework have negative impacts on student’s health and well-being. A  Chinese study found that there’s a link between excessive homework and sleep disruption.

“Homework stresses me out because I already go to school for eight hours, and then I have to come home and do even more work. I think homework should be either banned or lessened because it can be a lot sometimes,” said Chelsie Widdifield, a junior.

In my opinion, homework should only be given when necessary. Teachers should not just assign homework just to assign it. Instead, teachers should only assign unfinished classwork as homework.

Teachers can benefit from homework. It can help track how a student is doing with the content they’re teaching. 

The opinions surrounding homework are very mixed. Research shows it can have both a positive and a negative impact on students.