Keeping the Finances Flowing

Liam Kenny, Media Writer

As the world fights a war against a very deadly virus that is spreading very fast, businesses and jobs all around the globe are shutting down, causing detrimental effects to our economy. Also, due to the coronavirus, Bloomberg estimates that the global economy could potentially lose 2.7 trillion dollars!!! 

On a more personal note, many of our CFHS students depend on their jobs to be able to pay for things that they really need. 

Vann Satterwhite, a freshman, states, “I’m going around the neighborhood and looking for people who need their grass cut.” 

On a side note, even though restaurants are closing their dining rooms, several drive throughs are still open. 

Danielle Sirico, a senior, shares, “I work at Outback Steakhouse as a hostess. The restaurant has shut down for dine in and is only offering take out. Since i’m not trained in takeaway, I am out of work until the restaurant opens the dining room back up. I will only get paid for two weeks until not getting paid anymore.”

I am employed as a batboy for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Our opening night was supposed to be April 9, but due to the coronavirus, the season has now been delayed until further notice. This is a big red flag for me because I need to be making money to pay for my insurance. 

There are, however, several ways to make money as we adjust to all the school and work closings. According to Financebuzz.com, there are simple ways to make some extra money.

• Get free gift cards for shopping online
  • Mow people’s lawns
  • Do extra chores around the house

As teenagers struggle with these uncertain times, it’s crucial that they find ways to keep the finances coming in.  It is also important to keep a positive attitude and turn to supportive adults in their lives as we continue these abnormal days of living each day.