Camp Smiles

Julianna Carnucci, Staff Writer

Everyone deserves happiness and kindness at some point in their life. Camp Smiles offers kindness to many young people. Camp Smiles is a summer program for children in the Horry County area who have rare medical conditions, like Cerebral Palsy or Down Syndrome. The people involved work very hard to make the children happy and many people choose to help out. One of our teachers here at Carolina Forest High School, Brennan Allen, chooses to volunteer with the organization yearly.

Our focus is not intended to exclude any child but rather to provide opportunities for the children in our area with the least support. Therefore, Camp Smiles’ priority is to provide camp for children who do not have a specialized camp opportunity in our area for their diagnosis,” Allen said.

Camp Smiles is full of great opportunities for people in the community, and it brings happiness to many families in the Horry County area. That is one of the reasons Allen enjoys Camp Smiles so much. Also, it can help people get involved in working with the community’s youth, which is another primary reason Allen enjoys volunteering with the organization.

I love just being out in the community and giving back. I thoroughly just enjoy working with families and young children and teenagers. I am from here, born and raised, so I care about this community and county,” Allen shared.

Camp Smiles is a non-profit organization. Non-profit organizations are a great way to be involved in your community and help other people.  On May 22, Allen and some our CFHS students plan to participate in Camp Smiles Birthday Bash, dressing up in costumes and having fun with the children.  

Allen added, “As mentioned earlier, I am from here, so I care about this community and county. I want to give back any chance I can. I mean, if I am blessed enough to wake up every morning, then I want to use that blessing and give it back to my community. I love this camp, and I love what they do for our community and families.“

Thank you, Mr. Allen, and everyone else who chooses to shed a positive light on the youth involved in Camp Smiles. The community appreciates you!