Shark-mazing!

Shark-mazing%21

During the week of May 10, I wrote an article on the Bahamian Shark Sanctuary and the benefits the sanctuary provided to the sharks and scientific research. Afterwards, I found out that our Principles of Biomedical Science teacher, Ms. Jenna Miller, began her career journey by taking the Biology of Sharks class at Coastal Carolina University, where she visited the research institution in the Bahamas for two weeks after completing the on campus curriculum there. Her professor  mentioned that they take volunteers to help at the lab, so she applied. Her next experience at the Bimini Biological Field Station was two months from May 15 to July 2012 as a research assistant/volunteer. The knowledge she gained from the time that she had in the Bahamas was very interesting, which led to this follow up article!

Miller shared, “The mission of the BBFS was to advance our knowledge of elasmobranchs (sharks, skates and rays) in the marine science field, as well as provide a place for undergraduate/graduate students to learn and conduct research projects. The BBFS also hosts many public outreach opportunities throughout North and South Bimini, which allows for the locals to become familiar and understand the fauna that they share their island home with!”

As a research assistant, Miller helped with the many ongoing projects of the BBFS. Many of the projects include using bait to tag the sharks. After setting the bait, the lines are checked 24 hours later to see if sharks are caught to tag and collect information on them. After collection from samples of the sharks DNA, they can use this information to complete a family tree on the sharks!

Miller added, “The lab, while based in the Bahamas, hosted scientists and volunteers from around the world, so I loved getting to meet folks from all over! We had very strong American and UK crews, a girl from Canada, a guy from France and another from Germany. Learning about different cultures was good fun! Of course, when it was my time to cook, I introduced them to none other than Chicken Bog–and they loved it!” 

With all of her experiences, she wants people to understand that sharks are way more beneficial to the environment and are more interesting than “Jaws” and tearing things to shreds! Sharks are beautiful creatures with very complex systems that we need to continue to protect!