Welcome To The Forest!

Despite the pandemic chaos to start our new school year, we welcome a group of new instructors to our Carolina Forest family: Kaycee Baransky, Thomas Bennet, Gregory Buck, Denise Byrne, Matthew Carnahan, Sandra Clark, Sarah Gower, Richard Howard, Sarah Johnson, David Lovett, Thane Maness, Kortnee Massow,  Debbie Sweller and Meredith Taylor.

This past year has been one of the most life changing times for our school. Having to adapt to this new way of life has been extremely difficult. At CF we have amazing teachers who have adapted to this new way of teaching, whether they have been here for 20 years or just a couple months. 

Bennet, a new art teacher, said,” My first year here has been going well. As an art teacher, I like teaching at CFHS because of the variety of student work I see each day.” 

“My first year has been going very well! It has been quite the adjustment, especially as a floater, but I have a ton of supportive faculty members around me to make this transition easier, is what I like most about teaching about CFHS” added our new science teacher, Matthew Carnahan.

During the past 19 months, teachers and students have faced many hardships with teaching. 

“Missing students from class who are quarantined makes teaching difficult when you don’t get to see your students everyday,” stated Maness, our new social studies teacher and varsity baseball coach. 

Bennet also shared that one of his challenges includes teaching art from a cart and moving enough materials around for students. Unfortunately, the more hands-on classes have suffered due to Covid restrictions.  

After talking to teachers and students, I found that many would rather stay all in school than hybrid. The quality of work that has been turned in and the connections that have been established extremely increased. I personally agree that we should stay all face to face. This is because it is better for everyone’s mental health and social life. I also learn  much better rather than learning at home. 

Sweller, a new social studies teacher, prefers her students to all be in class because it is difficult for students to stay motivated to do their schoolwork at home. 

Despite all of the chaos with Covid, we have had a great start to the school year. Hopefully, the rest of the year, we will see more changes for the better. 

Welcome to our new staff and have a great year!