The Show Must Go On

Cooper Morris, Staff Writer

Every January, Carolina Forest High School sizzles with excitement as our Performing Arts Department  begins production of the spring musical. This month was no exception.  Tickets for Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” went on sale January 21 (cfhsperformingarts.com).

Before the COVID-19 lockdown, our school was practicing non-stop for a production of “Mamma Mia.” However, just days before opening night, everything was shut down, and the show never saw the light of day. Since then, the school hasn’t put on a musical; therefore,  there is a lot of pressure on actors and directors to make this show the best one yet.

With a lot of dedication and enthusiasm, our students and directors are working daily during class and after school to prepare.  So much goes on behind the scenes before opening night.  

I spoke to thespians Blakely Ellis and Joe Schindler, who will be playing Cinderella and Prince Topher, asking them to share their insights on what it’s like to perform, be the lead, and how they prepare before a show.

Sophomore Blakely Ellis will be playing Cinderella. She has been performing since she was just five-years-old, and when she was younger, would watch her sister perform in Show Choir and the school musicals. 

I always looked up to [my sister] as one of my role models,” Ellis says.

In order to prepare for her role as Cinderella, Ellis is diligent and puts much effort in rehearsing, both at school and at home.  

Ellis shares, “I go home almost every night and I go over my lines. When I found out we were doing Cinderella, I automatically started watching YouTube videos of other people doing it and started learning the songs.” 

Ellis describes the theater environment as “…the most welcoming environment I’ve ever been in. There is no judgment.” She also emphasizes that she practices self-care and staying healthy.  Theater is something she would like to pursue as a future career. 

Ellis shares that all aspiring actors should not give up on their dream.“Just go for it; it’s so fun and it’s the most welcoming environment.You are so amazing; just do it.”

Joe Schindler, a junior, will be playing the prince. His zealous attitude is addicting, and he stressed how enjoyable it is being involved in theater.  Although he has been involved in theater for four years and has been in eight musicals, he says he still feels anxious at auditions and performances.

Schindler shares,  “I get nervous every time I perform… I get in my head a lot.” He also added that “when you’re nervous it means you care.” In talking to him, it was clear he loves the theater. 

While he does love theater, Schindler offers a fresh perspective on what it’s like behind the curtain. “The environment can be very toxic. You have people who think they’re better than everybody else, and everybody always has something to say, even if you’re the nicest or most talented person. People can get jealous.”. 

A new face to The Forest and the director of the musical is Meredith Taylor. She is enthusiastic about the musical and enjoys teaching the theater elective class.

Taylor adds, “I want my stage and my classroom to be a safe place for my actors to exhibit creativity and build confidence, friendships, and walk away with lifelong experiences.”

From now until March, the cast and crew will be working tirelessly on “Cinderella” and putting their all into providing a wonderful performance. With such talented and dedicated people in the cast, it is undeniable that this show will be flawless and will most certainly be  the comeback of the year.