Women’s History Month

photo credit: google images

Cooper Morris, Staff Writer

Women’s History Month is a celebration of women’s contributions to our society and culture. During the month of March, our nation takes time to honor females that stretch back to the founding of the United States.

After the women’s suffrage movement succeeded in bringing in the 19th Amendment, women began to realize they deserved more than just the right to vote. Starting in the 1960’s, “second wave feminism” fought for equal pay, equal opportunities, and a general feeling of solidarity among women.

In California (1978), The Education Task Force of the Sonoma County Commission on the Status of Women came together and organized “Women’s History Week” as a way to celebrate the achievements and accomplishments of women.  The week was based around March 8, as that was already International Women’s Day. In 1980, a network of women’s historians and groups urged for national recognition of the week. They were successful, because later that year, President Jimmy Carter declared the week of March 8 as National Women’s Week. In 1987, Congress passed Public Law 100-9, which designated March as “Women’s History Month.”

Since then, Women’s History Month has been sponsored by the United States and has been celebrated nationwide with female-focused education, informative events, and customs such as presenting women with gifts or flowers.

Women as a whole have had to endure and overcome so much, from unequal rights to unequal opportunities, so it’s important to highlight all women, especially those who have had an impact on our society.

Sophomore and gender equality advocate, Gina Borrell said, “Women have gone through a lot just to get the rights we have now; we are constantly stripped of our rights, and we should be celebrated for how far we’ve come and how strong we are. “

Feminism is what gives women a voice, and it gives us the chance to be equal. It’s crucial that we support women and recognize their accomplishments throughout the whole year, not just during Women’s History Month. When we make an effort to celebrate women, we ensure that their importance will never be forgotten.