Club Rush

Club+Rush

Helina Brown, Staff Writer/ Media Producer

As we roll into the 2022-2023 school year,  it is a great time to join the clubs and organizations we have on campus. Two of the reasons for joining clubs are to be more involved and to make new friends. No matter your reason, participation in any club or organization is a great way to improve your experience.  

At Carolina Forest High School, there are various clubs to join. You can choose anything from National Honor Societies to Disc Golf Club. There is an exciting club for everyone. Being in clubs can really make or break your high school experience. Clubs create the opportunity to help with learning a variety of important skills, such as community service, all while making friends. 

Being in clubs also provides opportunities such as boosting your college application or providing scholarships.  Clubs such as the National Honors Society challenge students to go out into the community and help others. By doing this, students get the chance to be involved and learn more about their community. Students are volunteering their time, and this is something colleges look for on applications. The societies that might pique your interest are National Honors Society, International Thespian Society, Tri-Music Honor Society, National Art Honor Society, Math Honors Society, RHO Kappa, National Science Honors Society, Spanish Honor Society, English Honor Society, or National Technical Honors Society. 

Donnilyn Johnson, senior and secretary of the Math Honors Society  commented,  “I feel that Math Honors Society creates a comfortable environment where everyone can learn as a group.”

There are also organizations that teach valuable life skills: Future Farmers of America (FFA), Robotics and Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA). Clubs that teach leadership skills set students up for success in the future and prepare them for the workforce. These clubs are for students who want to have opportunities for leadership roles. 

Jennifer Greeson, the advisor for DECA and teacher at Carolina Forest said, “DECA prepares emerging leaders for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality, and management in High Schools all around the world.”

Clubs can bring students together and boost student morale. This can be seen in organizations such as Panther Ambassadors and Student Council. Students who are part of the Panther Ambassador work to create a positive environment by giving new student tours. Student Council helps the overall student voice be heard by planning events such as spirit day. All in all these organizations work to make Carolina Forest a happier place. 

Student

Amelia Earl, a junior at Carolina Forest and a Panther Ambassador added, “As a Panther Ambassador, we help new students find their way around campus and help the school feel like a safe place”.

Interest-based clubs are a great way to make friends with people of similar interests. All of these groups give the student a chance to share similar experiences. These clubs are for pursuing hobbies. Interest-based clubs that might be of interest: Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Art Club, Italian Club, Knitting Club, Skeet Team, Disc Golf Club, Board Game Club, Dungeons and Dragons Club, Anchor Club, Chess and Uno Club, Comic-Con Club, Esports Game Club, and Earth Club

Ann Twigg, a co-sponsor of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, commented, “FCA is an organization that is open to every student in the school who would like to meet new friends and participate in activities that bring everyone together as a school family.”

Academic clubs are a wonderful way to further your education and academic interests. Being surrounded by students who enjoy the same academics as yourself is a fantastic way to spend time at school. This is a great learning opportunity. Academic clubs offered at Carolina Forest are  Academic Team, German Club, Sign Language Club, Battle of the Books, or ACT and SAT Prep. 

Getting involved in our organizations are great experiences to help you make friends. Clubs and organizations are a great way to get involved with your community. Carolina Forest offers a number of clubs to join and to make your time in high school a time to remember.