Poll

Best Fast Food

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Silver Streams Submissions
The Silver Streams will be updated frequently and will highlight our students’ art and writing talent. In the link below, you may submit any artwork, photography, writings, and/or music that you would like to be featured in the our on-line literary magazine.
Note: If you would like your piece formatted a certain way, you may also provide a hard copy to Ms. Twigg’s room in Tech 3.
Submit your entries to the following:  [email protected], [email protected], OR complete the Google Form
Can’t Find Your Counselor?
Meet the Staff
Ella Monday
Ella Monday
Staff Writer/ Media Production

Hi! My name is Ella Monday, and I am a junior. This is my first semester on The Prowler, and I am super excited to see what this semester brings. I run track and cross country for CF, and I am a Teacher...

The Devastation Found in Maui

Recent events on the Hawaiian island of Maui have left the state in shambles, looking for help from the nation. An electrical shortage gone wrong resulted in a wildfire that left the island and many of its towns completely devastated and in need of major repairs. 

According to CBS News, “Lahaina bore the brunt of the flames and the historic town was completely destroyed. With 2,170 acres burned, the Lahaina fire is about 90% contained.” 

The fire started early August and traveled throughout the island to burn about 200 acres in Kula. By late August, the fire was 90% contained and the focus on recovery began. 

CBS News also shared the dreadful conclusion that an estimated 3,200 acres were burned.

As per mauicounty.gov as of Sept. 16, the fire in Olinda was about 90% contained, and they estimated that over 1,000 acres of land were burned. In Kula, 96% of the fire was contained and around 200 acres were destroyed. Finally in Lahaina, the fire was 100% contained and controlled with a total of 2,170 acres burned. 

With thousands of acres incinerated over the past month, Hawaii needed help recovering. Per instruction from President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), is announcing a $1.3 million relief fund going to help communities on Maui through the department’s new Rapid Unsheltered Survivor Housing (RUSH) program. The RUSH program is a rapid response program to address homelessness by filling gaps in communities hit by disasters with assistance from the federal government.

Michelle Scott, one of our English teachers, is a former teacher on the island.  She shared that many of the residents are not happy with the government or the outside influence the state is receiving. Government assistance and resources were lacking but tourists were still allowed entry for vacation. 

Scott added, “Tourists were allowed to check in to the hotels, decreasing the availability of rooms for residents who are now homeless.” 

Not only were residents’ homes affected but so were schools. News from Scott’s former students uncovered that many students were forced to leave school early due to power outages, which unfortunately meant they were home during the time of the fires.

The beautiful tourist destination was once a huge retail front, although locals would push away investors and refuse to sell. Ever since the fire, though, the investors are even more persistent than in the past. It seems like with no funding or resources, the locals might be forced to sell as it is their only option. 

With all the tragedy the island of Hawaii has faced this past month or so, the hope is to see the island restored to its former glory. 

Photo Credits: CNN