Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff

Hey, Panthers! My name is Addy Fegley.  I am a junior, and this is my first semester on The Prowler. I enjoy working and spending time with family and friends. I love Disney, going to the beach, and watching...

The Importance of Standardized Testing

Standardized testing is an educational mandate that students begin in third grade and continues until they graduate. Throughout elementary and middle school, there are language arts and math exams taken annually and the science exam is taken occasionally. Once in high school, there are four state required end of course exams. In South Carolina, the SCReady exams are the standardized test taken, and in high school students, take four EOC exams. Along with state mandated testing, there are many other exams,  including ACT, SAT, ASVAB, and Workkeys.

Standardized tests are very important because they help to determine how well you do in a class. They don’t just help to see your progress, but tests like the ACT and SAT help to determine your eligibility for college scholarships.

Mostly all mandated tests that students will take throughout school you have been prepared for. The SAT is one exam you are being prepared to take, but many may don’t realize this. This exam consists of a reading, writing, and math section. The SAT, unlike the EOC, covers topics you learned throughout high school. 

Many exams that are taken we are prepared for through practice tests. Teachers do their best to prepare you for every possible problem that will be shown on the exams. The SAT has its practice exam called the PSAT. This test is secured and handled in a similar manner to the SAT. 

Along with teachers doing their best to prepare students for tests like these, guidance counselors do their best to have students study and get as much practice as they can.

Sierra Billhimer, once of our guidance counselors, shares, “It is important for students to take the PSAT, SAT and ACT as it can help with college admissions and scholarship opportunities.”

Many students question why they need these tests, and many just don’t want to complete them even after hearing what their guidance counselors and teachers say. There are some students who do see the importance of these tests.

“It’s just as important as a benchmark, beyond that extra circulars and the GPA show more about who the student is as a person. It also is able to show how well you have taken in the information that is handed to you,” stated senior Will Lovette.

The University of South Carolina has released “that in a year students spend 20-25 hours on exams a year not including practices and drills.”

State required and college board required exams are very important and should be taken seriously. Even though the amount of time we spend on them is stressful and is dreaded; If you do not do your best and take them seriously you could potentially struggle in the future.