Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff
Isabella Stachowiak
Isabella Stachowiak
Staff Writer/Media Producer

Hello! My name is Isabella Stachowiak, and I am currently a junior. This is my first year being on The Prowler, and I am so excited. I participate in many extracurriculars like cross country, track, and...

Joy In Running During the Holidays

As the cold but warm fuzzy holidays approach us, many upcoming runs and activities are taking place, such as the annual Turkey Trot and Reindeer Runs.  These events are always a hit for many people of all ages. 

The 17th Annual Turkey Trot is taking place on November 23. It starts at eight in the morning and is located at Grand Park Lake in Market Commons Farrow Parkway side. 

Miles Mowder, a sophomore, has participated in a Turkey Trot at Plantation Lakes.

Mowder stated, “I love the Turkey Trot because Thanksgiving is a day of eating unhealthy and not working out but when you run the Turkey Trot it makes you feel a lot less guilty about eating all that food.” 

Along with just the fun of being with friends, running is very beneficial to our minds and bodies.  According to betterhealth.gov., running improves cardiovascular fitness, strengthens muscles, and improves mental health.  It can also build self-confidence. 

Marietta Rutenberg, a senior, races  the 1600m and 800m in track. She has also participated in the Myrtle Beach 2023 Half Marathon.

Rutenberg revealed, “I like running because it is challenging and it helps to alleviate any stress I’m dealing with. It’s fun to run with friends. The feeling of accomplishment after making the struggle is worth it.”

The 17th Annual Conway Rotary RiverTown Reindeer Run will take place December 2, 2023 at the Conway Marina. All proceeds will fund local charities and community projects in our area. 

One of the things that makes these runs so fun is the friendly comradery, along with dressing up in costumes.

Ann Twigg, one of our English teachers, is not an avid runner, but her oldest daughter Hayley has been running since middle school.  She graduated in 2011 and won first place in cross country regions during her eighth grade year.

“Hayley turned 30 this year and still takes time to run almost every day and participate in fun runs.  She and her friends participated in the Turkey Trot at Market Commons last year, and it was so entertaining to watch all the Rudolphs and Santas,” shared Twigg.

There are some other races happening including, Turkey Trot in Myrtle Beach, Surfside Rotary Turkey Trot Surfside Beach, Myrtle Beach Marathon, Reindeer Runs, and Carolina Forest Rotary Krispy Kreme Dash. They are being held in the Myrtle Beach and Conway area. However, they do cost a little bit of money. 

This year, I plan on participating in the Reindeer Run with some of my friends. 

If you’re interested in any of these runs, make sure you register soon! (To register you can visit runsignup.com or conwayrotaryrivertownreindeerrun.itsyourrace.com.)