Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff
Taylor Sasser
Taylor Sasser
Staff Writer/ Media Producer

Hello! My name is Taylor Sasser, and I'm currently a junior. This is my first year on The Prowler, and I am so excited! I am a Panther Ambassador and a member of Anchor Club. Outside of school, I do theatre...

Honoring Our Veterans

Happy Veterans Day! November 11 is a day to give our gratitude and appreciation for military Veterans who served to fight for the United States of America. Each branch of the military dedicated its cause to protecting citizens and the freedom given at birth.

What many do not know is how Veterans Day came to be a national holiday. 

During World War I, on the eleventh day of the eleventh hour of the eleventh month– November 11, 1918– an armistice was signed between the Allied Nations and Germany. Though World War I ended on June 28, 1919 after the signing of the Treaty of Versailles, November 11, 1918 is commonly considered as the end of “the war to end all wars.” 

Thus, one year later– November 11, 1919– the first “Armistice Day” was celebrated. President Wilson was in attendance, delivering a speech that explained the importance of the day.

“Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory…” claimed President Wilson.

On May 13, 1938 (19 years after the first celebration), November 11 was considered a national holiday for Armistice Day.

Finally, after World War II created the most casualties and trauma for soldiers, marines, sailors, and more, the name “Armistice Day” was changed to “Veterans Day” in 1954 to honor all American soldiers who risked their lives for the common good. The United States continues to celebrate Veterans Day every eleventh day of the eleventh month.

Some of our teachers are Veterans! Make sure to thank them for their service and wish them a happy Veterans Day.

Anthony Lauer, Army

Cathryn Kite, Air Force

Dave Schenck, Coast Guard

Gregg Thompson, Navy

Jaled Prol, National Guard

Jason Capuzzi, Army

Jay Philon, Marine

Jeffery Layton, Army

Jeffrey Bean, Army

Kevin Boyle, Navy

“I am proud that I served for my country,” English teacher Jason Capuzzi stated. “I think about the currently serving soldiers and their bravery on Veterans Day.”

Our nation would not be what it is today without our dedicated soldiers. Thank you for your service!