Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff
Taylor Sasser
Taylor Sasser
Staff Writer/ Media Producer

Hello! My name is Taylor Sasser, and I'm currently a junior. This is my first year on The Prowler, and I am so excited! I am a Panther Ambassador and a member of Anchor Club. Outside of school, I do theatre...

Pull Through, Class of 2024!

Winter, which is the most wonderful time of the year for families, can be the most taxing for seniors in high school. As families gather to celebrate holidays like Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and Christmas, seniors who intend on attending college must ensure they have their applications together before being able to lighten up and revel in the festivities. As a senior currently undergoing the circumstances myself, I firsthand feel the stresses of college applications. 

This year is quite unique for the Class of 2024, experiencing multiple changes within the admissions process. The process is made all the more confusing and difficult, adding to the anxiety for the Class of 2024 when the situation is already so perplexing as it is. 

Previously, The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opened annually on October 1 for college applicants to start filling out.  FAFSA plans on opening the applications in January. This causes early admissions boards to struggle with dealing with financial aid for those who apply, as well as counselors. 

Since June 29, 2023, affirmative action has been fully eliminated within college admissions, meaning factors like race and gender are no longer taken into consideration for applicants from 2023 on. 

Standardized testing continues to be test-optional for most universities following COVID-19. We do not know yet if next year they will return to required standardized testing or not. 

Due to the stresses of applications, I’ve taken the extra steps needed to prepare myself for the new changes. Right now, schools advise most students to get their CSS profiles down until then. That way, colleges are able to get a substantial amount of financial aid information down until FAFSA opens. Just because affirmative action was ruled doesn’t mean that your identity is not considered important. If your identity, ethnicity, or culture is a crucial part of your life, then write about it still! If your test scores aren’t that strong, it’s okay, and they won’t consider your tests when looking at your application holistically. 

“The schools I’m looking at are test-optional, so I’m not going to submit my scores because I believe my grades represent my academic performance better,” senior Nathaniel Shifflett states. 

With how far it’s come, it looks like we’re getting on track! Keep submitting those applications, seniors!