• February 27Sophomores Place Class Ring Orders

• February 20ACT Testing

• February 18Hurricane Make Up Day

Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Caelia Allen, Staff Writer

“Boys In The Trees” is a 90’s Australian Halloween-themed film that presents itself as a horror with minimum scares but is a magnetic thriller that cycles around the value of teenage friendship. The film is difficult to categorize as it takes a hold of bittersweet topics and adds a chilling undertone to them. It follows Corey (Toby Wallace), a teenager enjoying his last night of high school and Jonah (Gulliver McGrath), an isolated ex-best friend of Corey, as they confront each other and years of deserted friendship.

Directed and written by Nicholas Verso, the film’s plot revolves around a game Corey and Jonah used to play as young kids. Cutting ties due to Corey’s popularity, the two estranged friends decide to spend their last night of high school catching up on old times. The movie incorporates themes of loneliness, depression and regret. They also tackle the concept that girls have to grow up faster while “boys get to live with their heads stuck in the trees.” Romany (Mitzi Ruhlmann), a teenage girl who works at the local gas station, points out the issue of early emotional maturity in females.

The film allows teenagers to be childish without feeling ashamed because in a way, they are still kids. Jonah is adamant at finding joy in his love of Halloween while Corey reluctantly follows his friend into the ridiculous adventure he has planned out. The two boys journey into the woods to conjure up stories that play into their childhood game.

Some might call this film boring or pretentious but it is surprising in the best way. From the curiosity in its adventurous beginning to the heavy tone of the ending ballad (“Death of Samantha” by Yoko Ono), the film switches through genres hauntingly without losing sight of its main theme. The theme of regret and true friendship. Corey loses sight of one his most meaningful relationships but learns the power it takes to renew that relationship even when it’s too late.

About the Writer
Caelia Allen, Staff Writer

Caelia Allen, a sophomore, has recently moved from Jamaica and is in the process of tackling high school at CFHS. Her interests include writing, reading...

• Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Arts & Entertainment

“Band”ing Together

• Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Arts & Entertainment

Power Of Potter

• Arts & Entertainment

Christmas Show Choir 2018

• Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Arts & Entertainment

Show Choir Spectacular

• Arts & Entertainment

CFHS Holiday Spectacular 2018

• Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Arts & Entertainment

From Me To You

• Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Arts & Entertainment

Avril Lavigne’s Comeback

• Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Arts & Entertainment

The Haunting of Hill House

• Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Arts & Entertainment

Series Review: Atypical

• Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Arts & Entertainment

Indie Music

Movie Review: Boys In The Trees