This poll has ended.

What is #1 on your list for summer plans?

The PGA Tour Comes to Myrtle Beach!

The PGA Tour Comes to Myrtle Beach!

The first ever PGA tour event was held at the Grand Dunes, on May 9-12., bringing a large number of visitors for the long weekend.  Myrtle Beach is well-known for being the golf capital of the world, and people come from all over the world to play some of the many courses we have to offer. . 

The Dunes Golf and Beach Club has over 800+ members and is the only course in Myrtle Beach with ocean views.  This course began as a dream by local Myrtle Beach businessmen and women in 1948. 

According to MyrtleBeachClassic.com, The Dunes Golf Course is “known for its beauty along the Atlantic Ocean coastline. Incorporated in 1948, this Robert Trent Jones-designed course has hosted many high profile events, including PGA TOUR Champions, USGA, Collegiate, and men’s and women’s State amateur competitions. Today this renowned 18-hole golf course is consistently ranked among the Top 100 courses in the nation.”

This tournament helped out our nearby nonprofits such as Blue Star Mothers of Coastal Carolina, Boys and Girls Club of the Grand Strand, Champion Autism Network, Children’s Recovery Center, Classy Smiles, Helping Hand, Help 4 Kids, Project Golf, and SOS Care. 

One of our very own students was able to work this event. 

Ethan Hamilton, a senior, expressed, “It was tiring, I woke at 3AM everyday of the week, but it was really cool to watch how perfect everything had to be and all the technology that went into it.”

Chris Gotterup achieved his first ever PGA tour win at the Myrtle Beach Classic. He closed with a 4-under 67 for a six-stroke victory. The tournament was played opposite the Wells Fargo Championship, in Charlotte, North Carolina. Gotterup earned a spot in the PGA Championship the following week. 

Steve Hamilton, the golf course superintendent at The Dunes, has been working on the success of this tour for almost a year.  

Hamilton shared, “Planning started in May of last year. Usually we get a few years to plan and implement changes; we had 11 months. 1500 volunteers were needed, and we had over 4000 interested, which was a great turnout for the community.  HGTC was a great partner with students from both the culinary team and turf grass management departments. Golf course preparation during the event was extremely early (4am-8:30am) shift and an evening shift (4pm-dark). I had some team members working 100+hrs a week for two weeks in a row. It took about six weeks to set everything up, grand stands, concessions, etc.. and it will take three weeks to break it all down.”

It is so cool to be able to have an event as big as the PGA tour right down the road from us. Living in a tourist community definitely has its perks! It is exciting to see what other successful events will come to the beach.

Picture Credit:  Tara Hamilton