Poll

This poll has ended.

What is #1 on your list for summer plans?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Silver Streams Submissions
The Silver Streams will be updated frequently and will highlight our students’ art and writing talent. In the link below, you may submit any artwork, photography, writings, and/or music that you would like to be featured in the our on-line literary magazine.
Note: If you would like your piece formatted a certain way, you may also provide a hard copy to Ms. Twigg’s room in Tech 3.
Submit your entries to the following:  [email protected], [email protected], OR complete the Google Form
Can’t Find Your Counselor?

The Terrible Case of Senioritis

Being a senior can be one of the most exciting things that can happen to a teenager. You are finally given the opportunity to go off and choose what you want to do with your life. You are able to walk across the stage and celebrate the accomplishments that you have made throughout your four years. However, seniors are finally receiving college acceptances, finalizing their plans, and overall deciding the plans for their future. 

Senioritis happens whenever senior students can’t find the motivation to do school work, because they are too occupied with the thought of graduating and going to college or venturing off into the real world. 

According to Omniscient.com, 78 percent of seniors experience senioritis. 

Many seniors have already finished most of their prerequisites that are needed to graduate, so they are simply taking filler classes that are not required in order to graduate. 

Alexis McCann, a senior, shares how senioritis can affect you when you are completely done with all of your classes. 

“When it gets closer to the end of the year, it becomes harder to find the motivation,” McCann states. “I have been done with classes since my junior year, and it has been hard to stay motivated to complete my assignments to the best of my ability.”

Many students can experience this feeling even if they are not seniors. This feeling evolves when students are reaching the end and are not required to do as much work as they are used to. 

“Senioritis started for me in my freshman year because I would see all the seniors graduate and be so excited for it that I wanted to experience it as well,”  Brooke McCulloch, a senior, shares. 

This is hard for not only students but teachers as well. Many teachers are coming to a cross-roads on what to do to help their students and their lack of drive to complete their work. 

Mr. Aaron Knapic, a personal finance teacher, shares how senioritis is present in his classroom. 

“Some of my students are struggling to maintain the motivation to get their work completed,” Knapic admits. “I am needing to use more reinforcement to keep my students on task.”

Senioritis is bound to happen to everyone. In order to stay ahead of the curve on work and make sure you are working up to your full potential, one must be aware that you still have school, and it is so close to being over so you must still work to the best of your abilities.