Poll

This poll has ended.

What is #1 on your list for summer plans?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Silver Streams Submissions
The Silver Streams will be updated frequently and will highlight our students’ art and writing talent. In the link below, you may submit any artwork, photography, writings, and/or music that you would like to be featured in the our on-line literary magazine.
Note: If you would like your piece formatted a certain way, you may also provide a hard copy to Ms. Twigg’s room in Tech 3.
Submit your entries to the following:  [email protected], [email protected], OR complete the Google Form
Can’t Find Your Counselor?

Dangers of Nail Biting!

Credit%3A+Google
Credit: Google

Nail Biting, known as “Onychophagia,” is a common bad habit that most people are doing. According to UCLA Health, up to 30% of the population bite their nails. Many people develop this habit, but excessive nail biting can be difficult to stop.  

Many people begin biting their nails from childhood and continue through adulthood. Nail biting can be due to stress, frustration, boredom, anxiety, and other mental issues. People biting their nails as a way to cope with their feelings.

Despite nail biting helping with emotions, it can be a danger to your health. 

Excessive biting their nails can affect your health and cause consequences. Nail biting can cause dental problems as it can cause your teeth to be misaligned and chipped. It can cause ingrown nails that can grow under your skin and can lead to swelling, pain, skin infection, redness, and damaged tissues in your nails. Nail biting can cause an increase in illness due to fingers passing by bacteria to your face or mouth. 

Senior Alondra Medina stated, “Nail Biting can be hard to stop. Many people bite them as a way to cope with their emotions but don’t realize that it is bad for them. There can be many ways to stop nail biting and prevent it.” 

As it can be difficult to quit biting your nails, it is important to find out the reason why you’re biting them and identify it. Many ways to stop it are to trim your nails or paint them to prevent yourself from chewing it. Try to keep your hands and mouth busy! Make sure to wash your hands and add nail treatment like nail hardeners and oils that can make your nails strong and healthy.

Nail biting can be dangerous. If you bite your nails, stop it now! It can be hard to quit a bad habit but it is never to late to try quitting once and for all.