This poll has ended.

What is #1 on your list for summer plans?

The Effects of COVID-19 on Education

The Covid-19 pandemic happened over four years ago, causing irreversible effects on teenagers’ learning development, socialization skills, mental health and more. 

Ever since Covid, students socialize less than before. When everyone was in quarantine no one was allowed to go outside or be around people so they missed their main years to go outside with friends and were stuck inside and left with nothing to do. This caused younger people to get addicted to technology such as TikTok and Instagram because that’s all anyone had during COVID. This led to students having less of a work ethic because they were inside for so long. 

Younger students also had a hard time returning to normal after COVID-19 because they lost their main years to branch out and try different things. Once middle schoolers did go back to school, they were in high school. This caused many teenagers to miss out on certain experiences.

Teenagers who were juniors or seniors during COVID missed out on their proms and graduations. The seniors either had a virtual graduation or didn’t have one at all. This caused many families to miss out on a milestone for their kids. The juniors would have returned the following year and still missed out on their senior year.

During Covid-19, students also had to use a website called Edgenuity to get their work done for school. Most students did not want to do the work they were assigned or just cheated their way through the grade, but teachers were required to pass the students no matter what. This had a negative impact on both students and teachers because when students did finally go back to school they had A and B days and everyone was assigned certain days to attend school. This set back the students because since they didn’t learn during COVID-19 and do the work they were supposed to, the teachers had to take the time to teach them what they were already supposed to know.

Brarron Lowe, a student at Carolina Forest, states “I actually liked A and B days. I was A-day so I only attended school on Mondays and Tuesdays during the hybrid schedule and the rest of the days I stayed home and was virtual. It felt like a longer weekend.”

The National Center for Education Statistics informs that K-12 public enrollment has declined more than 2.7% and the number of public school teachers has declined by 0.2%. It also talks about how 26% of adults with kids in school reported that they had to go to summer school or had a tutor in the summer of 2021.

While it’s been over four years, COVID has affected everyone in a negative way. It will always have an impact on society and it sets back all students with their education.

Image: Google.com