Small Town, Big World

Makayla Doyle, Writer

Small Town Big World

Growing up in a small town like Harlem, Georgia, there are no unknowns because it is such a small community and area. Everybody eats at the same restaurants, goes to the same churches and attends the same schools.

Moving to the beach was a big change for me. It is such a large community. There are so many different things to do: three malls, a number of different schools and everything is ten times the size as in Georgia. My mom, one of my younger brothers, my mom’s boyfriend, and I all moved up here in the beginning of November. It took us about three weeks to get fully moved in because of the constant back and forth between houses. The drive is only about three hours and forty-five minutes  It’s the perfect time to nap and jam to music.

I miss my old house. I don’t miss only the house but everyone around it. My family, my best friend, and people I have known my entire life are back home in Georgia.  My old school, Harlem High School, has approximately 450 students.  It has a very calm and relaxing environment, making everyone’s lives a bit easier.

It seems to be the complete opposite here. There’s always a new student, which means many questions, lots of small talk and drama coming at every corner. But, if you’re lucky, you will find some friends to hang out with during lunch or after school. The few friends I have made so far are all sweet and helpful. All the teachers have been helpful, too. I really enjoy all the classes I’m taking at the moment and am excited to see everything this school has to offer. I really think I’m going to like it here.