Spring Art Show 2018

Hannah Ali, Staff Writer

The second and last art show of the year, the Spring Art Show was held on April 18. Students from each art class participated in the show, as well as special guest pieces from Carolina Forest feeder elementary and middle schools in the county. All the artwork was mounted in the hallway and in the studio room near the front of G House. The National Art Honors Society hosted the event and held their induction ceremony in the hallway.

The NAHS members provided food and entertainment in the front of G House. Snacks ranging from fruit platters to a giant cupcake cake were laid out on a long table, including soft drinks and ice. Next to the snack table, there was a watercolor station for all ages to enjoy. People would take turns painting their own designs on the paper cut-outs of feathers.

The art show presented different pieces made with various materials. Each piece was sorted into three different categories: 2D, 3D and Photo. 2D is two-dimensional, like a painting or drawing. 3D is a solid object that can be viewed at all sides and can be touched. Photo is to showcase the student’s ability at editing and taking intriguing pictures using different methods of composition.

Each category had a first, second and third place winner. There were also trophies for Best in Show and Best All Around Artist.

For 2D, Ashley Woodhall won third place and Jessica Cleveland won second. Sarah Sheely, a senior, won first place with her piece titled Eat Snot. This piece is multimedia, demonstrating her skill at using various materials in one piece.

For 3D, Maddie Davenport won third place and Frankie Anderson won second place. Sam Senig, a senior, won first place with her sculpture piece, Chicken-Hearted. The piece is exceptional with the many details and the interesting message it showcases.

For photo, Raina Mills won third place; Caroline McDaniels won second place and Madalyn Wellons won first. Madalyn was in AP 2D during her junior year and is currently a member of the NAHS. Her winning photo, The Face of Desperation, was taken while on a mission trip the summer before her senior year.

Sam Krill, a senior, won Best in Show this year with her piece, Weird Honey. The artist that was rewarded for Best New Artist was Aaliyah Houston for her outstanding work!

The five feeder schools that participated in the Spring Art Show had chosen the best artwork out of their respective schools. The artwork was mounted in the hallway, and before the awards were announced for the high school students, there was a winner from the feeder schools. Each winner received free art supplies from the art teachers.

With the success of the Spring Art Show this year, there will be pressure to ensure the next one will be better. With new talent coming to the table and the love of art festering in many students, I have no doubt that the next art shows will be memorable like this one.

Congratulations to everyone presented with a prize, and everyone in the art show for creating a fun night for everyone!