The Never-Ending Homecoming

Cassidy Duff, Media Editor

Carolina Forest High School went through very much this year concerning Homecoming. It kept on getting rescheduled for mostly weather reasons. Students and faculty began to joke about it and call it “The Never-Ending Homecoming.” We surely hold the record for the longest but most exciting Homecoming ever!

There are lots of events that make up a CFHS Homecoming, and some of those things unfortunately had to be cancelled. Everything was postponed on multiple different occasions, so nothing happened how it normally would.

We usually have hallway and golf cart decorating, Spirit Week, lunch games, a pep rally, parade, tailgating, and, of course, the game when the queen is crowned.

Our original Homecoming was set for October 5, 2018. However, due to Hurricane Florence, all of the schools in Horry County did not have school for three weeks, so Homecoming was rescheduled for October 26, 2018.

That week approached quickly, and the students decorated the halls and golf carts as normal the Saturday before Homecoming. The spirit days and lunch games that week were fun, creating great memories.

“The Never-Ending Homecoming was so nerve wracking for me. Being Senior Class President, it meant everything to me to win the spirit stick,” shared Brandon Garris.

There was talk all week about a storm that was coming our way on Friday. By the time Wednesday came around, it was confirmed. The Homecoming game against Conway was moved to Thursday. It was too short notice to move the parade and pep rally, too, so the decision to move Homecoming festivities to the next home game was made. However, there would only be another home game if we made playoffs.

Our football team did make playoffs, and the closest home game was not until November 9, 2018. Student Council planned a mini-spirit week starting Wednesday of that week to lead up to the game. The pep rally was scheduled for that Thursday, and all of the Homecoming court were going to be crowned there because many students in the court had prior obligations for that Friday.

Pep rally day was here and everything was ready, but due to various circumstances, the pep rally was cancelled. All of homecoming court would now be crowned at Friday’s game.

There had been a lot of rain that week, so the football field was very wet and muddy. It was in no condition to have a game take place. Because of this, the game was moved to Coastal Carolina University’s field.

Since we were not playing at home, we could not have a parade or a tailgate, but it was very exciting to have our team play in a college stadium and have our Homecoming Court be crowned on that field.

Despite all of the changes and cancellations, having our Homecoming game at CCU  was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Everything that happened to delay and change everything was out of everyone’s control, so it was nice to have this to compensate for it.

The Student Council Advisor, Morgan Bane, said, “Homecoming was definitely interesting this year, but we made the best of it just as we always do and always will. At the end of the day, we have fun no matter what we are doing, which is why Carolina Forest is the best!”

Carolina Forest High School’s Homecoming did seem never-ending, but the ending that we received was amazing. Under the circumstances, the little we had to sacrifice is pale in comparison to what others had to sacrifice due to Hurricane Florence. Everything turned out for the best even if it was not a traditional CFHS Homecoming.