• May 14Spring Art Show

• May 10Start of Spring Show Choir Shows

• May 2Spring Blood Drive

Power Of Potter

Back to Article
Back to Article

Power Of Potter

Haylee Adkins, Staff Writer

A little over 20 years ago, J.K.Rowling released her first novel Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, which quickly became a world-wide sensation. 12 years and seven books later, she concluded the series with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In 2001, Rowling released The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, another adventure series that featured important characters mentioned in the Harry Potter series.   

Harry Potter has impacted society to the point where people have brought the magical world of Hogwarts to life.

The word muggle is a term Rowling used to represent non-magic humans. In 2002, muggle was added in the dictionary. It means a person who lacks a particular skill or skills. Also quidditch became a sport in 2005. A person dresses up as the snitch, a volleyball serves the quaffle and a dodgeball is the bludger. Today, quidditch is played in over 26 different countries.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry has become the real deal. Bothwells School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at Herstmonceux Castle in East Sussex, modeled itself after Hogwarts. It is a four-day event where participants are sorted into a house, learn some lessons and solve mysteries.    

The houses are representative of universal themes: Ravenclaw (wisdom), Gryffindor (bravery), Hufflepuff (loyalty) and Slytherin (rebellion).

After surveying 100 students, over which house they would attend, 17% said Ravenclaw, 18% picked Slytherin, 44% chose Gryffindor and the other 22% were Hufflepuff.

Nyx Gill, a junior who identifies as a Ravenclaw, commented, “This is where I was placed after taking a test. I prefer to see the inside of things, while appreciating the beauty of it”.

Many students claim if they were to be a character in the films, it would be Harry Potter. Some of the teachers suggested Professor McGonagall as a character. Other students actually chose stock characters. Stock characters are characters who move the story along without being the center of attention like Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood.

“If I could be any character, I would want to be Neville Longbottom because even though he has his quirks, he stands up for his friends no matter what and even sticks up to The Dark Lord himself”, commented senior Thomas Roberts. 

Students and teachers were asked how the books and movies have impacted their lives. Some have stated it helped with their creativity. And also helped some become more of a reader, due to many claiming it was their first book they read.   

A century has passed; Rowling’s wizarding series is still expanding and one of the most popular novels and movies of all time.

• Power Of Potter

Arts & Entertainment

Sam Cooke: ” A Change Is Gonna Come ”

• Power Of Potter

Arts & Entertainment

Appreciating Those In Our Everyday Life

• Power Of Potter

Arts & Entertainment

Carolina Country Music Festival

• Power Of Potter

Arts & Entertainment

Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists review

• Power Of Potter

Arts & Entertainment

The News Must Go On

• Power Of Potter

Arts & Entertainment

The Story Behind “Newsies”

• Arts & Entertainment

Panthers Gather Standing Ovations at Benefit Show

• Power Of Potter

Arts & Entertainment

Black History Artists

• Power Of Potter

Arts & Entertainment

“Band”ing Together

• Power Of Potter

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: Boys In The Trees

Power Of Potter