If You Give a Child a Book…

Kaya Perry, Silver Streams Co-Editor

During the spring semester, Ms. Bane, Ms. Norris, Ms. Pantuso, and Ms. Twigg collaborated to complete children’s books for  five classes from our community cluster:   Ocean Bay Elementary, Carolina Forest Elementary, Palmetto Bays Elementary, River Oaks Elementary and Waccamaw Elementary.  Bane and Twigg’s English II/Honors and Creative Writing classes received information about the individual students and wrote stories based on their interests.  Norris and Pantuso’s art classes illustrated the books.  Ms. Driggers, our principal, made it possible to professionally publish the books via Coastal Printing of Myrtle Beach.  

The authors of the books took a field trip to the elementary schools so they could meet the children during the writing process.  

Zariah Wise, who wrote one of the books, shared, “The smiles I received from Alina and Isabella made my day.”

The best part of the whole project was giving the books to the younger students. They were so excited to see the books from the moment they were told about them. Seeing the faces light up and hearing their comments made everyone who took part in creating the books smile. It was like a dream come true for the children. All of the kids loved their books, especially since they were the main characters.

“I really enjoyed Isaac reading his book to me.  It brightened up my day and made me feel like I could make a difference in someone’s life,” commented Ashley Clayworth.