Winter Sports are Back!

Jayson Jacoby after a victory at Marion High School.

Sophie Gamble, Staff Writer

This winter sports season is bound to be an exciting one. Winter sports such as wrestling and basketball and have already started matches and games.

This year’s wrestling season is going to be exciting. With their conditioning and weight cut, they are prepared for a good season. 

Senior Jayson Jacoby, is looking forward to a successful season, traveling and making weight. He has been wrestling for twelve years; this is his fourth year on the varsity team. He believes their biggest competitor this year is going to be Lexington. 

“I really enjoy being around my friends and love the intensity shown on the mat,” says Jacoby. 

Wrestling coach, Matthew Perdue, is looking forward to a good season. He is excited to see a few of the wrestlers hit 100 wins. He has been coaching for two years at CF but has been wrestling since he was six. 

“Seeing our guys push through their own struggles that come with wrestling and overcoming them is very rewarding,” adds Perdue.

Carolina Forest is also looking forward to our upcoming basketball season. There are many events to look forward to, such as the Panther Classic and the Beachball Classic.

Junior Corbin Pack, is looking forward to this season and playing under the new coach. Pack has been playing basketball for 11 years; this is his first year on the varsity team. He believes the team’s biggest competitor this year is Myrtle Beach High School.

“I love basketball because I get to spend a lot of time with teammates,” adds Pack.

Boys varsity basketball coach, Emmanuel O. Dewalt, is going into his 17th year coaching and is excited to make an impact on his athletes. Coach Dewalt played football, basketball and ran track in high school. He also played college football at the University of Tennessee.

“I really enjoy the competition and the energy it can bring, especially on game day,” says Dewalt.

We are looking forward to a competitive girl’s basketball season. With good players, we should have a successful 2019-20 season.

Junior Ally Niles, is looking forward to a great season and “The Beach Ball Classic.” Niles has been playing basketball for three years and will be playing on the varsity team this year. She believes Myrtle Beach will be a tough competitor this season.

“I love spending time with teammates and the bus rides back after a good win,” says Niles.