CFHS’s Future Leaders in Education

Lilly Hortis, Co-Editor

Here at Carolina Forest, we offer Education 101: this class is also known as Teacher Cadet. This class is mostly there for those desiring to be teachers or leaders in the future.   However, anyone can benefit from taking this class. Not only is it a three- hour college credit, but so much can be learned that can help you in everyday life.

This class is also different because the college curriculum allows the teacher and students to discuss and learn things you wouldn’t in high school. Students learn about being a teacher as well as all the good and bad that comes along with it. They learn about barriers in students and also many life-lessons.

Carlie Skolsky says, “I have learned about the different types of learning disorders, how to work with different learning styles, what all goes into teaching a lesson, and life long lessons you’ll keep with you forever.”

Not only do the students learn how to deal with real-world situations, they also form close bonds with each other.

Danielle Sirico comments, “My favorite part about the Teacher Cadet class was the fact that we all walked into that class as strangers, and now we are really like a family. We all have been there to support each other and help each other grow. That experience has been priceless.”

Part of the class is participating in an internship which lasts three weeks. Prior to the internship, Teacher Cadets visit our cluster schools to meet students, teachers, and administration. This allows them to get an idea of which teacher and class they would like to shadow for their internship. Teacher Cadet students will then choose the school and class that want to shadow. This is often the students favorite part of the class.

Skolsky comments, “I loved the opportunity to go around to all the other schools in the area and see how each school is different but the same. I also love meeting all the students and seeing how bright their faces are when the “big kids” (Teacher Cadets) enter the room.”

Students go to their internships each day during their first block in place of coming to CFHS and attending the regular Teacher Cadet class. During their time at the school, they get to know both the teachers and the students and get the feel of being a teacher.

This class is a great asset to our curriculum and former students encourage others to take it as well.

Sircio adds, “ I would encourage others to take this class because it truly helps you grow as a person, no matter what you want your future career to be. The class teaches you a lot about not only teaching but helps you realize what might be going on in other people’s lives and helps you become a more forgiving and understanding person.”

If you are interested in taking this class, talk to your guidance counselor or Ann Twigg in Tech 3!

“It is one of the best curriculum offers we have in our Horry County Schools.  These students are given opportunities that aren’t available in other classes and create memories that last a lifetime.  Our schools need innovative minds and caring hearts; this is a class to help find our future teachers,”  comments Twigg.

Applications will be available Monday, December 16, during the Junior Survival Night.