My Experience As A Teacher Cadet

Annika Hardy, Staff Writer/Production Team Member

At Carolina Forest High School, I am an active participant in the Teacher Cadet Program. Applicable for high-achieving juniors and seniors, the Cadets gain leadership skills and life-enriching experiences. Not to mention, the students learn to educate a young audience effectively in the classroom. Additionally, they listen to guest speakers and read life-changing novels. There is also a myriad of career and scholarship opportunities. Upon completion of the course, all eligible students will receive college credit at accredited universities. 

At the beginning of the course, my class read ““Tuesdays with Morrie” by Mitch Albom. Based upon a true story, Albom befriends Professor Morrie Schwartz. The novel illustrates the importance of friendship, kindness, and virtue. More importantly, it reveals Schwartz’s struggle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as ALS. Yet, he continues to appreciate the beauty of life. Overall, Albom and Schwartz embrace the philosophical view of positivity.

Junior Micah Sapp states, “Tuesdays with Morrie was a very inspirational novel. The stories helped change my perspective of life.”

In September, I attended Coastal Carolina University with my peers. Upon arrival, we viewed a presentation from the South Carolina 2020 Teacher of the Year. Ms. Chanda Jefferson “…is a biology teacher at Fairfield Central High School…” As an aspiring doctor, Jefferson discovered her calling as a science teacher at an elementary school. The SCETV further states, “She…uses STEM techniques, hands-on exercises, inquiry and social media to connect students with science.” Jefferson was an outstanding person and she encouraged high school students to pursue an interest in the education field. 

Senior Paige Roseway adds, “Jefferson was very passionate, and I felt like one of her students. Not to mention, she was incredibly welcoming to the Cadets in Horry county.”

Seniors are encouraged to complete the South Carolina Teaching Fellows Scholarship. Introduced in 1999, “The mission of the program is to recruit talented…seniors into the teaching profession and help them develop leadership qualities” (“Teaching Fellows Overview”). CERRA adds, eligible seniors, earn up to $6,000 a year in tuition money. However, only 200 South Carolina applicants are selected to compete at a regional competition. Also, the Fellow must teach at a South Carolina school for four years. 

Senior Dani Sirico states, “At first, I felt very intimidated and nervous during the interview. However, after I spoke with the current Teaching Fellows, I felt calm and collected. The environment was also very welcoming. Overall, the interview was a great experience!”

Towards the end of the semester, the Cadets and I completed a three-week internship at a local elementary or middle school. For my field experience, I interned with Ms. Kristy Mauro at Carolina Forest Elementary School.  It was an incredible experience, and I learned about the adversity that provokes students. Also, I reinforced appropriate classroom management skills to resolve conflicts between students. Overall, the field experience enhanced my maturity and prepared me for college.

Junior Myah Ankiewicz adds, “I enjoyed spending time with the students during my internship. If I do not major in culinary arts, I will pursue a career in elementary education.”

Overall, the Teacher Cadet Program provides a multitude of opportunities for students at Carolina Forest High School. On March 31, the Cadets and I will attend the Special Olympics at the Myrtle Beach Pelicans Pelicans Stadium. Plus, our second-grade penpals from Ocean Bay Elementary School will visit our classroom for the day in May. To future juniors and seniors, please sign up for the course! You will not regret it.