CFHS Wrestling Success

Max Stefanchik, Staff Writer

Wrestling is a sport that involves a high amount of resilience and grit. Our Carolina Forest Wrestling team, led by captains Isaiah Poppe and Zack Preciado, have overcome many obstacles this season. While even having a season was questionable, the team still continued to put in the hard work and dedication to set them up for success. As the year went on and multiple quarantines were needed due to the exposure of Covid-19, the team remained dedicated and continued to win. 

Coach Matt Purdue says, “We were quarantined two different times this season, losing half the year. Resiliency can is formed in times of distress and uncertainty, and this year our resiliency was tested, but I’m very proud of how the boys responded. For us to still have the success that we achieved shows how hard these kids worked.”

The hard work in the current season the team demonstrated paid off when seven wrestlers made it to the South Carolina Lower State Tournament (Isaiah Poppe, Evan DeLauter, Dylan Zajac, Brandon Jacoby, Jonte Crumpton, Braedon Bailey, and Dereck Peebles) and three qualified for the South Carolina State Tournament (Bailey,  Crumpton, &  Poppe.)

At the South Carolina State Tournament for Class Five Individual State on March 6, wrestler Braedon Bailey won the state championship at the 113 weight class. Jonte Crumpton (106) weight class and Isaiah Poppe (152) weight class medaled at the State Tournament as well.

Braeden Bailey, a sophomore at Carolina Forest shares, “I want to thank all my teammates and coaches for helping me on this journey.”

Coach Purdue , “These kids never gave up; knowing the season could be canceled at any moment; they kept going.” 

Congratulations to our wrestling team and everything they have been able to accomplish in the 2020-2021 wrestling season!  Way to go, Panthers!