Happy 25th, Panthers!

Bayli Soles, Co-Editor

This year Carolina Forest High School will celebrate its 25th Anniversary. CFHS is located off Gardner Lacy Road, and is one of the nine high schools in the Horry County attendance areas. There are approximately 2,400 kids on campus. We have three middle schools that flow in our high school. Our campus has amazing staff members and faculty. Principal Gaye Driggers has a great reason to be a proud Panther.

In 1997 CF opened its doors to 6-10 grade only, known as Carolina Forest Education Education Center. Wendell Shealy was principal for the first year; then Rick Maxey came to be the principal from 1998 to 2000. Maxey is currently our superintendent. Velna Allen, who had served as an assistant principal under Maxey, became principal. After Mrs. Allen accepted a job at the district office, our wonderful principal Gaye Driggers took the position. Ms. Driggers has been at Carolina Forest since it was opened, starting as a PE teacher and coach.

At the end of the 2004-2004 school year, the middle school population exploded in the Carolina Forest area. That led to the opening of Ocean Bay and Blackwater Middle School. Carolina Forest then became a true high school. 

Ann Twigg, one of our English teachers, left Conway High School to teach at Carolina Forest Education Center and has been here since 1997.

Twigg shared, “It was such an amazing experience to help open a new school.  A group of us met with the student leaders who were coming from the area schools to decide on our colors and the mascot.  When we were smaller, we had pep rallies every Friday with give-aways, such as iPods and gift certificates.  Despite not being able to do these types of activities anymore, I still feel we are one of the best high schools in the state.”

For the past 21 years, CFHS has become the largest high school in Horry County. Our school offers 24 AP classes, along with a myriad of interesting electives. Although our school has had many changes throughout the years, the culture at Carolina Forest hasn’t changed. Some of the same traditions still occur. 

Our student section is still called The Black Hole and has grown tremendously over the years. It is still the best way to spend your Friday nights cheering on the Panthers.  Homecoming is still one of our biggest games and brings so much joy to all those around with the dress-up days and great school spirit.

Coach Jesse Patrick really is a living representation of once a Panther, always a Panther. He use to be a student here and now gets the privilege of teaching as well as being the track and field head coach.

Coach Patrick added, ” The Black Hole was always a fun part of the student life here at CF. It was always a time for all students to come together and support the school.”

Our amazing Show Choir still is one of the best in the Pee Dee area, winning numerous awards throughout the years, especially in competitions in New York City and Disney World. 

Kraig McBroom, the director, commented, ” Our musical theatre program has always been strong as well, so I feel like the show choir and theatre programs have complimented each other so well over the years.  I will say this – I am always so proud of what my show choir students are doing.  They work hard, support each other, and support our school in so many ways.  We have been fortunate to have developed tremendous community support over the years. I’m really proud or the work we are doing and want the students at CF to come out and support all the time, hard work, and talent we are developing.  I have been a lucky man to teach at Carolina Forest for almost 30 years!

Carolina Forest High School has definitely experienced many changes over the years, but the loyalty and love from being a Panther will always stay true.  Happy Anniversary, CFHS!