¿Puedes Leer Esto?

¿Puedes Leer Esto?

Cooper Morris, Staff Writer

Language is the backbone of our society. It allows us to connect with one another, but that connection is limited to those who speak the same language. In addition to breaking communication barriers, learning a foreign language has plenty of benefits, including improved cognitive and verbal ability, better memory and new opportunities. 

Learning another language expands the brain and improves mental ability. A study found that students who took a foreign language in high school scored significantly higher on the SAT than those who didn’t.

Secondly, knowing a foreign language makes you more appealing to employers because you are able to communicate with a broader audience. Having a foreign language on your resume will benefit you greatly.

Kinevia Banks, a Spanish teacher at The Forest, has been opened up to plenty of opportunities.

“I had the opportunity to be a translator at the Women Health and Counseling Center in Somerville, New Jersey, and I got to travel to various places like Puerto Rico and Canada,” Banks said.

A less practical benefit of learning another language is you will have the chance to travel to beautiful places, whether it be through jobs or just a desire to travel. Knowing the language of wherever you are will make it much easier and more enjoyable. It also allows you to meet more people.  

“It opens up a person’s world, both literally & figuratively, by allowing you to connect with others and viewing the world through multiple lenses.  It really broadens your perspective,” shared German teacher Antonia Boyle.

All high schools in America teach at least one foreign language, with a wide choice of subjects including Spanish, American Sign Language, Hebrew, and Korean. Studies have shown that bilingual people have better reading, writing, and math skills; they also generally have higher test scores. 

Gissell Trujillo, a senior, speaks both English and Spanish.

“I think every student should definitely learn a second language. Having the knowledge to know two languages can benefit you in many ways. That includes being able to communicate with other students and having many different opportunities. Some opportunities that have become available to me since I know two languages have been earning The Seal of Biliteracy and being able to translate at school and out of school,” Trujillo commented.

Really, the only downside to learning a foreign language is how time-consuming it can be. It requires a vast amount of dedication and is a big commitment.

Trujillo added, “There are some cons with learning a second language. Learning a second language can be very time consuming, and learning specific content can be extremely difficult.”

So, if you’re thinking about learning a second language, take advantage of school opportunities and language apps. The pros outweigh the cons, and overall, the benefits make the time and effort worth it.