Springing into States

Meadow Myers, Staff Writer/ Silver Streams Editor

As our track season comes to a close, there are many accomplishments to celebrate. On Friday May 20, 2022, the Carolina Forest track and field team traveled to Spring Valley in order to compete in the AAAAA State Championship.  Since the start of the season, 12 school records have been broken, as well as having the highest boys finish at States with second place. Coach Jesse Patrick led the team to States and coached students to countless records throughout this season. 

Due to the extended hours of practice and dedication, 14 students qualified for the state competition:  T’Mars (TJ) McCallum – 100m, 200m, Long Jump, 4×100; Andrew Bilderback – 100m, Long Jump, Javelin, 4x100m; Erhard Owusu-Bonsu – 4x100m; Jalien Porter – 4x100m, Triple Jump; DeMarcus Craft – 4x100m; Peyton Bridges – Discus; Julian Dent – Javelin; Avery Bender – 1600m, 3200m, 4x800m; Molly Avery – 4x800m; Ashley Gallitto – 4×800; Julia Jurenas – 4×800; Marietta Rutenberg – 4×800; Gabby Hanson – 4×800; Aryana Henry – Pole Vault

While at States, Carolina Forest placed first in 100m,200m,long jump,and 4×100; second in long jump; seventh in javelin; and eighth in triple jump.

Junior Gabby Hanson states, “It’s been hot and exhausting at times, but we pushed through and it has all paid off. Overall, we had an awesome season full of personal, school, and state records. I can’t wait to see even more progress next season.”

One of our senior athletes, Tmars McCallum (TJ), broke several school and state records throughout this season, including:100m-10.13 state record, 200m-20.72 state Record, long jump- 25’33’’ school record, 4×100- 40.71 state record. McCallum is only the tenth male athlete to win four state championships in a single state finals meet.

McCallum comments, “Honestly, CF Track has been ah huge blessing to me.  My friends and I enjoyed the experience, making new friends and bonds.  In particular, the atmosphere at States was electric.  I could not have gotten where I am without God, hard work, and dedication.”

As the season comes to a close, Coach Jesse Patrick shares how he is feeling about the 2022 season. 

I am still trying to process the season. It has seen a total of 12 school records broken. We had the highest team finish ever for the boys at the state meet, 2nd. We have not only had individual success, but team success too. It has been an amazing thing to watch the athletes develop over the years and throughout this year. I knew that this was going to be a special season, but could not have imagined that it was going to be as successful as it has been.”

With the success of the 2022 spring track season, the Panthers are eager to see what next year will hold.