Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff
Lesley Medina
Lesley Medina
Staff Writer/Media Production

Hey, my name is Lesley! I'm a sophomore at CFHS. This is my first year on The Prowler. I'm on the CFHS dance team. I love to baking, hanging out with friends and family, singing, and dancing.  After graduation,...

Black History Month!

Black History Month was created to celebrate the achievement of Black Americans and their historical roles in the United States. Black History Month is celebrated during the month of February. 

Black History Month began as “ Negro History Week,” created in 1926 by Carter G. Woodson, a scholar and educator. He was the first person to learn about African American history. He dedicated himself to celebrating the historic roles of Black Americans. Woodson wanted Americans to understand and appreciate the contribution of African Americans. 

In February 1970, the first celebration of Black History Month was held at Kent State University from January 2 to February 28. In February 1976, President George R. Ford officially established Black History Month as a national holiday! President Ford urged all Americans to recognize and honor the accomplishments and culture of Black Americans. 

Why do we celebrate Black History Month in February? Well, February was chosen for a reason. 

The first celebration of Negro History Week was in February 1926. Woodson chose the second week of February to coincide with the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. Lincoln’s birthday is on February 12, and Douglass on February 14. Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation and abolished slavery. Douglass, a formerly enslaved man, became a leader in the abolishment movement and a public speaker. Both men played an important role in helping end slavery. 

“We should celebrate Black History because it is a significant part of our history as a country. African Americans overcome many hardships throughout our country’s history and have been important contributors to our society and culture,” explained Kyle Santmyer, one of our history teachers.

During Black History Month, many Americans are celebrated each year, such as Martin Luther King Jr., a leader of the American Civil Rights Movement who fought for equal rights, Jack Robinson, the first African American to play in Major League Baseball, and Barack Obama, the first African American to be elected as president of the United States in 2008. Other Black Americans like Rosa Parks, Mae Jemison, Thurgood Marshall, and so many more should be honored.

On Monday, February 26, CFHS is holding a Black History program at the auditorium at 11:45 a.m., so come celebrate black history with facts, music, and entertainment!

We all should celebrate Black History Month to honor the past, celebrate the present, and inspire the future!