Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff
Audrey Austin
Audrey Austin
Staff Writer/ Media Producer

Hi! My name is Audrey Austin! I am a senior at CFHS, and this is my first year on The Prowler. I am a member of NEHS, SNHS, our school's lacrosse team, and a Teacher Cadet. I enjoy things like reading,...

Breast Cancer Awareness

Breast Cancer Awareness is an annual campaign every October to help and increase awareness for the diseases. The goal is to get as many people involved to increase awareness to help and add funds to help give life-changing support.

Many people know Breast Cancer Awareness for the color pink! Although we most associate the color pink with breast cancer now, it was not always pink. In 1992, the original color was peach. Many people go pink for the month of October to raise awareness.

Breast cancer is a disease in which cells in the breast grow out of control. There are a few different kinds of breast cancer, and it depends which kind you could have based on which cells have become cancerous. 

Breast Cancer can be treated. At the age of 50, men and women are supposed to get a mammogram. A mammogram is the process of using low powered X-Rays to examine the breast. The reason for this examination is to catch the cancer and treat it. 

The CDC released, “Each year in the United States, about 240,000 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in women and about 2,100 in men. About 42,000 women and 500 men in the U.S. die each year from breast cancer.”

Breast Cancer affects many people and their families, along with those who they know. I currently have a family member who is going through stage 4 breast cancer that has spread. Along with knowing a family member who is going through this terrible disease, I also know two teachers who have battled cancer.

Ten Oaks eighth grade math teacher Jacquelyn Varcadipane, found out that she had “triple positive” breast cancer in August 2022. Triple positive breast cancer is a very aggressive cancer. She went through chemotherapy and is now going through infusions.

Varcadipane stated, “Chemotherapy caused me to lose my hair. It caused burns under my arms, which eventually healed, and I was sick for about a week after each treatment. The infusions I get now make me feel a little sick, but nothing too bad.” 

Maggie McHugh, one of Carolina Forest High Schools Special Education teachers, went to complete her annual mammogram, and they also sent her to have a sonogram done. The results from both scans showed her doctor that she was dealing with stage two breast cancer. She has gone through surgery to attempt and remove the cancer, but it was unsuccessful and a second surgery was needed. After her surgery, chemotherapy was needed.

McHugh added, “The chemotherapy caused burns on my chest and neck. I am now taking a chemo medication that gives me severe hot flashes throughout the day.”

Both ladies shared some advice for anyone dealing with breast cancer! 

“The best advice I can offer to anyone dealing with cancer is don’t let it define you. Stay positive and keep living,” stated Varcadipane.

“Give yourself permission to “feel” what you feel, accept your thoughts & emotions. Seek support if you need to. Lean on those who love you,” shared McHugh.

If you know anyone who is dealing with breast cancer share these pieces of advice with them. Make them feel supported!