Walk Up, Not Out

Makayla Doyle, Writer

On March 14, Carolina Forest participated in the national #WalkUpNotOut to give students and teachers a chance to honor those who lost their lives in the tragic event that occurred last month  in Parkland, Florida.  

The faculty and students were challenged to find 14 students and three adults to walk up to and say something nice.

On the announcements that morning, there was a moment of silence for the students and teachers who lost their lives. Afterwards, teachers showed a video highlighting the departed students and teachers, which left an air of melancholy surrounding the school.

The original “walk out” was held for students to leave their classes in protest of the gun violence in schools. Horry County pronounced that the walk out could possibly have a threat attached to it and announced a safer alternative. Students and teachers were asked to walk into the hallway of the buildings instead of going outside.

“The atmosphere [of the school] was very respectful and quiet. Everyone seemed to be more calm out of respect for the people that died.” quoted sophomore Madison Marrs.

On the other hand, some students believed that the point of the walk up was not made clear and did not have an effect on the school.

“I think the impact [of purpose] wasn’t made. The event seemed unorganized and was a bit confusing to me.” said Caelia Allen, sophomore.

Many students and teachers, with a few exceptions, were pleased with the results of the #WalkUpNotOut.

“It was quite moving, and I’m so glad we had a chance to honor the victims,” stated Mrs.Bane, an English I Honors teacher.