Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff

Hey, Panthers! My name is Addy Fegley.  I am a junior, and this is my first semester on The Prowler. I enjoy working and spending time with family and friends. I love Disney, going to the beach, and watching...

CFHS Winter Guard: An Underrated Gem

Winter for many is an exciting time for people who are dedicated to cheering on athletes and sports alike; however, a hidden gem is covered by the media coverage of the other programs, one that deserves much more recognition than it has right now for its precision and result: introducing Carolina Forest’s Winter Guard!

The Winter Guard have been dedicating hours to a final product of drill, rifle tosses, flag tricks, and more to perform in front of judges during numerous competitions inside and outside the state of South Carolina.

Last year they performed the show named Virga, an emotional performance about the suffering of dry, rainless land. The show, filled with smooth choreography and wondrous, sorrowful visuals, ended with the miracle of a rainstorm, smiles growing on the performance’s faces as the drought finally ended.

“Being in color guard is like being a sport that has music in the background,” head guard instructor Jordyn Walkup shared. “… It’s a home away from home. It’s an opportunity to always be challenged.”

Though auditions are currently closed until next year, Walkup emphasized about how anyone can participate in the program.

The best thing about [guard] is that you don’t need any experience to pick it up,” Walkup added. “Everyone starts somewhere.”

Walkup mentions the behavior of the involved students being correlated with the results of the team. Just last year, they left as champions in the SCBDA All-state Winter Guard Championships, as well as a variety of other first place medals in other competitions that season.

“We have very dedicated students,” Walkup explained. “They’re kind, respectful, sassy, friendly, and are so supportive.”

“Guard can start very great friendships,” sophomore JV Captain Anabella Beane stated. “… You can learn many new skills that you wouldn’t even believe could be possible.”

Share the passion of performance by attending any of the second semester events for our CFHS JV and Varsity Winter Guard.

JV & VARSITY EVENTS:

February 3 – Cleveland HS

February 10 – Holly Springs HS

March 2 – West Johnston HS

March 20 – Community Performance @ 5:30pm

March 23 – Crown Coliseum State Championships

VARSITY EVENT:

Feb 24 – WGI Clayton, SC

With all the dedication the program puts into performing, the Winter Guard will continue to write new history for the school.