Best Fast Food

Meet the Staff

Hey everyone! My name is Gabby Hanson. I am so excited to be a part of The Prowler during my last semester of high school! I have been a Prowler staff member since my freshman year and have loved...

Why Is TikTok So Addicting?

TikTok, a social media application with over 1 billion downloads and 800 million active users, has become the go-to app for entertainment and short-form videos worldwide. Its algorithm, content, and ease of use contribute to its addictive nature. According to the Guardian, TikTok’s algorithm is intentionally designed to keep users engaged and on the app for longer periods.

The algorithm recommends videos based on users’ interests, search history, and interactions with other videos and utilizes AI technology to suggest relatable content that is likely to keep users entertained. As a result, users often find themselves scrolling through videos for hours without realizing the amount of time spent on the app.

TikTok boasts a wide range of entertaining videos that cater to different interests, such as dance challenges, lip-syncing videos, DIY tutorials, and comedic skits. The content is relatable and inspiring, making it appealing to all ages. Komal Parmar, an assistant professor at the University of Waterloo, highlights this factor as a reason for TikTok’s addictiveness.

The app’s user-friendly design eliminates the need for lengthy instructions or tutorials and makes it accessible to anyone. According to TechCrunch, TikTok’s simplicity is planned to prioritize what’s fun and what works, and this approach enables users to navigate and engage with the app effectively.

Also, TikTok’s culture has created its own language, trends, and challenges, providing an exclusive sense of community that engages users and makes them feel part of something bigger. The Guardian acknowledges this community aspect as another reason for TikTok’s addictive nature.

Sadie Richardson, a junior, shared, “I think TikTok is so addicting because of how basic it is. The feeling it gives you just makes you want to be on it even longer and then sometimes you don’t even realize how long you’ve been on it.”

Junior Mannix Farren added, “I think TikTok is addicting because of the endless supply of funny things it has on the app, the way that they can figure out what you like and show you videos that you would probably like makes it much more addicting.”

With all of this proof on how TikTok is addicting, it’s a reason why many states and countries have sought to ban TikTok. Many want it banned due to concerns over data privacy and national security.

According to CNBC’s “Why India Banned 59 Apps, including TikTok, WeChat, and Others,” the Chinese-owned app has faced scrutiny over its alleged collection and sharing of user data with the Chinese government. Countries such as India, which banned TikTok in June 2020, cited data privacy and national security concerns as reasons for the ban. The United States, which banned TikTok in September 2020 but the ban is currently on hold, has also expressed concerns over the app’s data privacy and potential links to the Chinese government.

In conclusion, TikTok’s addictiveness is because of its algorithm, content, user-friendly design, and unique culture. The app is designed to keep users hooked with its easy-to-use interface, trendsetting content, and exclusive community. People worldwide spend hours on the app, proof of its addictive nature. As long as TikTok continues to provide engaging content, its popularity and addictiveness will likely continue to grow, which is a reason why many states and countries are trying to put a stop to it.